Time to drop Firestick for Nvidia Shield?

Seeing all these posts about issues with the amazon Sticks and now problems with the Shield furthers my conviction that the Generic (T95Z Plus and others) lower priced boxes are the Winners for now

1 Like

Well we give up the Devil we know, for the one we don’t. For now Google may seem to be the savior, but are they? Only time will tell.

3 Likes

@Rkrasman

You can pretty much load anything on the Nvidia minus a few little issues.

Dont upgrade to something expensive without going throw your expectations and needs. Android tv is probably the best option on the box onlong with other stuff, it also depends on your setup.

A genric unrestricted box for just movies and tv shows will work just as good. But wont have full hd for paid apps.

5 Likes

As an option, one can usually load any premium hd service off their smart tv’s App Store if their open android box won’t allow the option. I can get Netflix, Prime, Hulu, Sling, along with a bunch of other premium services if I want to. As long as you have a smart tv, you can get access to these high definition premium services no matter what your tv box allows.

1 Like

I love my Shield. My biggest problem with it is no on/off switch. When I shut it down completely from the menu and I want to turn it back on I have to unplug it, then plug it back in. For the price of these units there should be a way to turn it on and off more easily.

3 Likes

12 posts were split to a new topic: Wifi/inet issues

My shield pro shuts down when I turn off the TV using my remote, but I also believe setting where I have my Nvidia Pro go to sleep after 5 minutes of inactivity.

Go to Settings>Device Preferences>Display & Sound>Power Control and enable the settings you want. I have them all enabled and both my Nvidia and TV turn off with one click using the remote or will both turn off automatically after 5 minutes of inactivity. Btw, I have that inactivity setting to not turn off during media playback in the Energy Saver settings.

Edit: Oh, now I see what you are talking about. The only time that I will unplug it is for a full reset of my entire setup, meaning modem, router, tv, device for about 20-30 minutes. I do that about once a month. Although I have that on a mechanical timer plug and set for this procedure to happen every 30 days at 2:00 a.m.

1 Like

Weight untill they get the updates right .

From what I have read on all the other groups on Discord, Telegram, XDA, Reddit, etc… YES, IT IS TIME! No one is even talking about a fix. In fact, they talking about it getting worse!

IMHO. I think nVidia is somewhat safe for the time being, but I would make sure you have auto updates TURNED OFF!

The recent turn of events regarding Amazon, Google, and even the nVidia update fiasco could lend rise to open source Android devices such as the Ugoos lineup!

5 Likes

Reminds me of the old sayin’ …

The grass is always greener over the Septic Tank… :skull_and_crossbones:

5 Likes

Yeah…thru a vpn upstairs…your problem with the other 2 devices is not a wifi reception problem…you’re getting the signal just fine. Sounds like a protocol setting on your vpn or a setting on the devices you tried…like Miki said, kinda tuff to troubleshoot from afar. You can download a wifi signal strength analyzer on your phone or whatever is convenient to see how strong your wifi signal is upstairs.

2 Likes

The thing is for me is that I do not want to have the Shield go into sleep mode which is I believe what you are doing with those settings. I want the Shield turned off completely. That is why I have to unplug and plug it back in.
I found an extension cord that that has an on/off switch. That is what I use now.

I use a power bar for my stick and TV and shut everything off overnight.

Yeah, I would imagine it does go to sleep. Just like about every other electronics. When you turn off your TV isn’t power still going to it, or a radio, a coffee maker, etc…? It’s not necessary to unplug your device every single day. Once a month is more than enough! I have my devices tv, modem, router, sound bar, and Shields all shut down on the 25th of every month from 2:00 a.m. to 6:00 a.m. using a mechanical timer wall plug. Set it, forget it! Lol

Btw, you can get a smart wall plug to plug in your nVidia and control the power from an app on your phone.

1 Like

I always turn off my Firestick for many reasons. No activity takes place without my knowledge. Even though you shut off the stick it isn’t truly off. What if my VPN fails? I have an open insecure connection. Also unlike sticks that run 24/7 mine runs 14/7 giving my electronics way less"up" time and lasting longer. It’s just me and the way I do things and have for years. I don’t even trust the TV internet connection so I never even connect to the net with it. So I do a total clean nightly, shut the power off, let it rest, and start fresh the next day. No shower though. :face_with_peeking_eye:

1 Like

Other than unplugging my 2015 Nvidia pro once in a blue moon,i have never had any issues with it. Maybe because it is a much more powerful device than any FS?

Absolutely. That’s what it has to be. Glad we’re the same. In all the years I’ve had computers and electronics I’ve never had one fail. Superior products and proper care are the keys. :grin:

These devices at best cost a couple hundred dollars. The cheap ones cost less than fifty bucks. If any of them last 3 years then I win! I am not going to worry about bricking any streaming device.

Like I said, my 1st “expensive” one is now 7 years old and is running great. The 2017 one and tube are the problem because I allowed them to be updated. My fault for trusting nVidia! None the less, even my 2017 model is now 5 years old and still working with some update issues.

So, I have spent average about $79 bucks a year for devices…so far. I may be unhappy about the nVidia fiasco, but I am not going to loose any sleep over it! I win each year they are all up and running.

I have never unplugged my devices on a regular basis until late 2021, and they all have been doing great. It’s just now with the money elites trying to hamstring us peons.

Like I said, I will go back to an antenna on my roof before I ever buy from those money grubbing elitists again!

3 Likes

Hey PF, I’m glad your system works for you and equally as glad mine works for me. I’ve spent way less than you but that’s because I choose to spend less to get what I want. Ya that Nvidia update fiasco really sucked on an expensive item, buy I’m sure Nvidia will eventually get it right. I still have my very first Firestick I ever bought, but that’s just for a laugh as the specs then were deplorable. So slow to do anything. We’ve come a long way baby. lol. I look forward to the challenges of future streaming but know how it’ll be as those same challenges existed over 35 years ago, and even then the corporate money drove the authorities to action to attempt to block our activities. But today all of us are still here, alive, thriving and looking forward to what’s next. I hope you never give up and go the antenna route as we’d all miss ya.

1 Like

Add up all the FS you have purchased along with all the upgrades you did to them and I bet you are not too far behind $70 a year over the last 7 years for devices?

Btw, didn’t someone send you a free FS just last year? Lol

3 Likes