Thoughts about cable providers DVR services

Just a thought, how is it possible for a cable company to rent you a DVR and its service legally? They are facilitating you in reproducing copyrighted material. Every sporting event states you can not reproduce or re-create without consent. Just saying… can you say hypocritical…they seem to get away with what they are after streamers for…

2 Likes

My guess would be one of the reasons the price is high. They probably pay something like a licensing fee.

I think there is a difference between recording something for personal use and in distributing what is copyright material to others.

I think its more about re-distributing video. They really dont care much about the recording as much they do about you recording and selling or re-streaming. Just my 2 cents.

1 Like

I’m sure that’s it…just seems a bit hypocritical. Just thinking about all these crack downs on stuff.

1 Like

I saw the words “Cable Provider” in the heading and almost forgot what that is! :rofl:

Actually, if I remember correctly this very issue about recording with a DVR was litigated in a court of law many, many years ago. As I recall, the networks were actually trying to get the DVR devices banned and made illegal to sell.

I never understood why VCRs were fine and dandy to use. You could record any show off of your tv but if you download the same tv show via torrent that would not be okay. Supposedly.

2 Likes

What about downloading? Why is recording considered to be different than downloading?

1 Like

It depends on where the stream is coming from. If you are getting your feed via a legit service. Then recording for personal use seems to be acceptable because the service provider is paying the fees to the networks to stream their programming. Whereas the less legit services are not paying any fees for retransmitting and therefore you would be recording a program from an illegitimate source.

At least that is the way I understand it…

2 Likes

The end result is the same either way, but that answer does make sense. You can get it from this store, but not that one. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

They just need to feel important, so they make up rules that don’t make sense when you look at them logically.

At least that is the best explanation I can come up with in my head with all the stuff that we do lol.

2 Likes

Bottom line is, you could really get by with a set-up for getting ota for locals and just use one of those VOD Movie/TV apps for all the other stuff. Unless you are heavily into sports. Then you may want all those espn channels and stuff like that.

Using a combination of HomeRun and Plex would be more than sufficient for 95% of the cord cutters. Especially with all the free and legal specialty apps available on the Playstore.

I’m not trying to look at the negative, but I have done the best that I can to set my home up with not only the unverified stuff, but some legal, verified ways to get content as well. I think the official diagnosis is “paranoia”, but I don’t want to get caught with my pants down one day if stuff really hits the fan and lose everything. I still have a Philo sub, I installed an amazing antenna in my attic for local channels, and still have a lot of the verified apps like Pluto, etc on my devices. I’ve said it many times here and I recommend to all to make sure you have plan A, B, C, etc on every aspect of cord cutting.

2 Likes

I can remenber searching for a “vcr” or anything to record for watching later and soon discovered things were not the same as back in the day :joy: All I wanted was to record for me but noooooooo.

Philo is the only paid verified service I will use. I like tugotv also they just need to add a couple channels…

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.