Surfshark keeps shutting apps down

Movies, etc keep getting shut down by Surfshark kill switch (I think). What is the fix?

You need to be more descriptive. Add in what device are you using? All amazon apps need to be bypass by SS.

When watching a movie or say a USTVGO Channel, the feed will be playing just fine, and the it will cut off and the main menu on my McCool box appears. Some stimes I can hit the center button and it will take me back to the show. Other times, I have to go through the whole process of opening the app and reselecting the movie or channel. I am using SS VPN an RD. The down load speed is usually between 50 and 70. The kill switch is on. I am wondering is the kill switch senses a sudden loss in connection. Thanks for your response.

@ JamesH
i think your right about momentary loss of signal,do you have buffering while watching a movie? even slightly? kill sw will disable internet…try running same movie without the vpn to see if it still happens…

I’m going to keep thinking about this one…but to me it doesnt sound like this has anything to do with SS or the kill switch. Have you tried to turn the kill switch (and/or ad blocker) off just for funsies? Crashing apps make me think of low memory and/or overheating issues first. Do you clean your Mecool cache, force stop unused apps, etc?

1 Like

I personally don’t use the kill switch. I use the VPN dot to let me know If the VPN stops running.

1 Like

Try a different streaming service. There is a lot of chatter on the USTVGO Discord group about recent disruptions and buffering issues.

Try one of the good free m3us (apps) like Pluto or Samsung and see if the same issue replicates itself.

Btw, the exact same issue you describe has happened to me recently, but I chalked it up to being an anomaly because it only happened once or twice and never again. I figured it was some sort of a glitch in the app itself, or a hiccup with my ip service.

This thread is pointed at Surfshark, but I haven’t heard anything yet to make me think this is a Surfshark issue. When I have issues like apps crashing, or a sluggish running device, etc, I have 99.9% of the time been able to fix them through a restart, clear cache, force stop, using task killer/sd maid…

3 Likes

The title is what piqued my interest because I use SS. Although, I agree with you and don’t think this particular issue is SS related.

Like I posted previously. I had a very similar experience just recently, but I assumed it was due to an ip related issue. I have not seen it reoccur since that one or two time and we have had some power loss, and other weather-related things going on up here in the hills of TN since Christmas Eve.

Also, he mentions using USTVGO and I know for a fact they are having several issues with their service of late!

I was just curious…

Oh, and one thing happened that was totally bonkers. My entire system shut down from my device and defaulted to my TV UI homepage. That is when I started thinking I may have a faulty HDMI cable. This only happened on my wi-fi connected TV and I remembered when I hooked up the new Samsung, I used a BS HDMI that was handy at the time. I disconnected the HDMI and reconnected it and booted the TV back up and it seemed to correct itself. I still haven’t got around to swapping it out. lol

When I switched to SS, I had issues with my Mecool boxes and what I believe to be the kill switch. While SS has been updated since and I think may have fixed that problem, I still keep the kill switch off on those boxes. I may try to turn it back on and test it, but any thread that I see Surfshark, Mecool and issues does get my attention. I still feel like in this particular thread and situation, there is something else going on causing what is described at the beginning.

I don’t use he kill switch. Also, just yesterday there was a pop-up on my laptop stating an SS update was available, but I haven’t checked the app on my phone, tablet, or nVidias.

If you have rotating ip on it will kick you off some stuff when it changes to another ip. Happens to me if its turned on and im playing poker.

1 Like

^^^^^ What he said. Any sudden drop can screw a movie up. I use kill switch on my router but over the years find disabling the kill switch on my phone things get better.

I’ve never experienced this at all with SS and going on almost 2 years with it on multiple boxes. Only issue I’ve had is the “Different VPN detected”

Did you mean disabling the kill switch or turning off the vpn?

I had the same problem perhaps happening once every two days. I had the SS vpn set to cover all apps except Netflix and Prime and Peacock. I switched over to the vpn covering only IPTV and Streamio and Film Plus and (?), while everything else not covered by vpn. This seemed to cure it for the most part. Still using the kill switch.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.