Surf Shark and Wireguard

In preparing for finally getting Fiber Optics and after reading one of Troy’s articles on setting up Wireguard using DD-WRT I came across the following on Tom’s Guide.

“if you plan to use VPN services to keep your browsing private and anonymous, consider that WireGuard by default must keep a record of your IP addresses and connection times on the server. A few VPNs have implemented their own workarounds to this privacy issue, so it is possible to use the secure, fast WireGuard protocol without logs being kept.”

My question is has Surf Shark made a work around and if not should I be worried about the logs?

To be honest ive never heard of this and i’m looking for what angle toms guide could be playing as they tend to bend info toward their advertisers and against others…if you get my drift :thinking:

I can’t actually find any article confirming that wireguard servers record your ip addy. So far I find it does record endpoint “virtual” IPs for IO operations but not my actual IP address and as My IP address is dynamic then after my lease period is up it will assign me a new one and someone else will have the address I was originally assigned. So not sure exactly what is going on.

The wireguard IP confusion has been perpetuated by a lot of mixed messages from different VPN providers and some tech sites.

Here’s an explanation of clarification from Proton related to the matter.

Below is Shark’s angle on wireguard privacy.

Both offer similar back end layer customizations to the protocol that diffuse what may be an unsubstantiated fear.

Maybe.

1 Like

Tx mthr1. That’s exactly the point I was trying to make. I couldn’t find any exact info that wireguard kept track or recorded, your ip addy. I also suspect someone got the wrong idea. Have a good day.

1 Like

Thank you thank you thank you. I really appreciate your responses. I will plan to go forward with SS. You guys are great!

Whatever information SurfShark have is held in Ram and deleted at the end of the day anyway, so nothing really to worry about. The audit that was done on SS is a good read and tells you all about how they handle data.

SRF-02-summary.pdf (surfshark.com)