Stremio Default Player

I’ve started using Stremio on my NVIDIA Shield Pro. I was using the MX player. At first I was having problems getting closed captions.( had to click about six times to find and install them) Also, the movie would play for a few minutes and then go back to the links list. I finally tried using the default player …and man, everything works great. But, the one thing I don’t see on the player is if it’s possible to enlarge the picture. I only have a 48" TV so real estate is important. The Large black bars top and bottom are annoying. I would rather watch a movie slightly stretched than having the black bars.

If there is a way to enlarge the screen and still use the default player, I would appreciate hearing how. Thanks in advance…

2 Likes

One way to do it is while you’re playing a video, you can click stop and hit the settings cog on the bottom right. It will have an option called Video scaling. You can change this to Fit screen.

2 Likes

I will try that, thank you …

1 Like

You’re welcome! Hope it works for you.

2 Likes

Tried it on two movies …yes, it enlarged the first one and it was great. It did not enlarge the second one…I’ve seen that before. I guess for some reason there are shows that you can’t re-scale…

I thank you again for the info and help, much appreciated.

The bars are a result of the codec. I believe that style is nicknamed " mailbox" as it’s wide but not high. Altering this to play full screen from top to bottom will result in some of the side being cut off.

1 Like

Thank you …in this instance, it was not possible of resizing it. I’m not sure why they do this…you have a widescreen TV and a widescreen movie, you would think it would fill the screen completely. I find it very annoying to have the black bars, especially on a smaller TV.

The only way around it is to only choose the vid with the proper codec that provides full screen and not “Mailbox”.
Takes a bit more effort but gets easier the more you learn.

1 Like

So in Stremio, if I choose a different link, it’s possible it would show the movie not in “mailbox”? I usually just pick the first 4K link, especially if it’s real debrid.

The simple answer is yes.Not all codecs are created equal.

1 Like

Good to know …as always, much appreciated.

I believe it might be called letterbox… and I forgot to ask you, but on your tv remote (not Shield remote) does it have a button that says P. Size?

1 Like

i am not sure but most TVs your are able to go into settings and pick normal,4.3,movie expand,zoom, or wide may have different wording depending on your tv not sure if it will help you but it is worth trying

2 Likes

Aha. You’re one smart cookie. That’s exactly what it’s called. Been decades since I messed around with codecs. Tx Shayde, appreciate the save.

2 Likes

The terms are so similar… mailbox, letterbox, and there’s so dang many terms to remember anyway! I’m surprised I remembered. You’re good Miki, you’ve saved me a few times too. :heart:

2 Likes

Yes, I can zoom in using my TV remote, but my problem is when I do that, I loose the closed caption…which I need.

You can size and place CC where you want in the settings. You can set colour and transparency. I highly recommend clicking through all of your settings and learn how to use the app.

2 Likes

Thank you for the help …I know you can resize the fonts, I have it at 100%, I also changed the color to yellow, but it always shows up in white. (both on my computer and Shield) I haven’t found any setting as to where you can place the closed caption.