Streaming Device Purchasing Advice

10/100 on the new cube. Read this is all I need. Nvidea? 10/100/1000?

Well you would think for the money they would throw in the gig ethernet? I dont seem to understand their thinking on stuff like this, its like giving me 3 usb 2.0 ports and 1 3.0 port, WTH…anyways when I look into a new box of anykind I 1st look at ethernet specs as I have no need for a wifi only box other than a backup.

3 Likes

I’m a FireTV guy. So the cube is what I would get I don’t game or record. Oh and the cube has WiFi 6.

2 Likes

I think it comes down to personal preference and what you’re needing :v::sunglasses: some really good choices have been mentioned

2 Likes

Me too. I was reading the plan to update for 4 years which gives me some surety to patches. The second cube had slow speeds with ethernet which is a thing they corrected. Miki do you foresee the 2G RAM

Opps the 2G ram as a problem for the 3 apps I like?

2G of Ram is plenty for streaming. Would I like 4GB? Absolutely. But with added storage on my Max and Fast Task Killer, my Max always has around 1G free RAM for my Streaming. The Max has WiFi 6 as well, and is very inexpensive right now with ads selling it for $35-40. Also portability is important to me and the stick fills that requirement easily. Not sure I’d want to haul a Cube or a Shield around all over the place. Unplug my stick, put it and my peripherals in my pocket and pop over to my favourite bar or a friends place, plug it in and log into their net and I’m watching anything in just a few minutes. As @pangaeatech rightly points out, it’s different for each of us and that’s what you need to figure out. Do I need all the bells and whistles? Or do I want something inexpensive that does the job?

2 Likes

It has storage of 16 G so I am thinking this is it.

Yes, 16GB of storage is plenty for most users. The Cube has a USB slot and you can extend the storage up to 1TB I believe.

Uh I looked and it does not show a micro sd but has a USB port for whatever. Hey off topic do I need the Plex server as this is what Nvidea has. What do I need it for?

Ya I put the wrong thing in, should have been USB. Tx. A plex server might be helpful if recording @TXRon is way more knowledgeable than I am, when it comes to that stuff.

Record as in downloading? I am only streaming not saving any content. So going forward you know all the tricks with CONFIG or problems for FIRE products just making sure. AND AS ALWAYS THKS MOUCHO GRACIOUS TO ALL for all input opinions and experience

Just get a laptop… but honestly if you are just streaming anything all you need is 2 to 4 gigs of ram and decent cpu power. So dont worry about a highend unit.

1 Like

Made a decision. Going with New Cube. I will need help for sure with it but to what you said originally for sure. A whole sweep necessary.

1 Like