Speeds, wifi, bandwidth and vpns

I kinda just wanted to make a topic on vpn connections and slow downs. Im seeing alot of people who have over 200+ complain about getting 60-80 instead of their full service. You will never reach full speed with a vpn. It needs bandwidth to keep encrypting your data streams. Alot of people here just want plug and play without really doing anything but unfortunately there is stuff you may need to check. One important issue with your speeds is bandwidth allocation. What this means is if lets say I’m downloading a game while my wife is watching shows with my son that takes up bandwidth which uses up speed. Your isp modem and router both have settings for this, some are automatically applied and some dont apply it well. What happens is the device using the most bandwidth at a time gets all the allocation which slows down other connections.

To combat this you would have to login to your router or modem and make sure it doest have one device which gets all the bandwidth. Typically these will be under network controls or devices. Should be some setting to allow constant connection. This will help. Also removing devices no longer used from a routera memory will help. (Deleting a device once connected) you will see that in devices connected.

Always select the closest, lowest ms server to you which will help. Servers do suffer from peak times and that may effect your connection. Always test your speeds wired/wifi vpn on and off with different settings and protocols to find the right one.

Wifi 5g and 6 you will need to be close to the router/modem i think 6 handles range better. Vpn at the router is a option to which helps. Bandwidth allocation is very important, make sure its not always sending speeds to one unit more than another. I will try to maybe do a guide or video when my pc is up. Every router and isp modem is different. Some newer stuff this isnt really a issue. But its something to add to your testing and setup.

7 Likes

I don’t have a problem on Sheild or Fire TV Cube as my speed will be 120+ on my service for 200. The problem is with all my FireSticks which top out of around 60. Most likely is the amount of memory available on FireSticks. I shouldn’t say it’s a problem because 60 is plenty. One thing I do notice if my TiviMate starts to buffer on a FireStick I just run Fast Task Killer a few times and that resolvea the issue most times as some of the buffering is coming from the station itself.

I’m on a 4K Max and get consistant 85MBps down using ProtonVPN, this on a 100MBs service and a server in the U.S.

The 4k max is probably better suited for vpn and wifi as long as you are close to your router. I was posting this because congestion on the network is a thing. Now a days its handled better.

1 Like

This is an exceptional post on a subject, router allocation settings which 99.99% do not understand, fail to check or is like a jet plane flying overhead never mussing a hair.

1 Like

Aha agreed, i really wanted to try to explain this as easy as i can. I get people want to set it and forget it and some may not be technical in this but its super important when it comes to maximizing your speeds.

1 Like

I would really like to see that guide/video, particularly as it applies to my Xfinity gateway & IPVanish!

I will try to set something up, im absolutely horrible at it… lol. Every router and modem is different but i will try