Spectrum Security Alert

Just received this email from spectrum. Anyone else get this before? Ive been a customer for 20 years and never saw this before.

Alert: Security Issue With Your Internet Account
Hello ××JPM69××

Spectrum has been notified of a potential security issue with your Internet service.

A device using your network may be infected by malicious software often disguised as a legitimate program or file. The infected device could be any computer, tablet, mobile device, set-top box (i.e., Firestick), smart home device, security camera or gaming console connected to your network.

It then goes on to give recommendations to safe guard my devices.

3 Likes

Make sure to verify the true source of the email. Many phishers will try to appear legit. Usually you can hover the cursor of the senders name to reveal the actual source of the email.

4 Likes

Scan all your devices with Malwarebytes. Be sure to follow @TXRon s sage advice.

2 Likes

I would call Spectrum and talk to them, they will tell you if its legit or not. It sounds “off” to me.

1 Like

That might be your Issue. :rofl:

Many of the possible phishing emails will contain some sort of click bait button or link that it wants you to mouse click on.

The dangling of this worm will usually feed off the subject matter, like “Click here to login to see listed affected devices” or something alluring like that.

Resist clicking despite your panic curiosity.

I’ve been a Spectrum internet customer for a while and have never received such an email.

As @Miki suggested, use a malware scanner if you have one. On PC devices, if you don’t have a paid AV or Malware software, use the free built in Windows Defender for a thorough scan. For other devices, use some of the free apps (if you don’t want to pay) as many will allow detection with free, but only removal with paid.

Virustotal is an option for Android devices.

Checking directly with Spectrum CS (good idea as suggested) - have them transfer you to their security tier to inquire about the validity of the email domain that sent you that email. 1.833.949.0036. Don’t call any numbers suggested in that email.

Sometimes when I get these scammer emails I call them back from my burner Google Voice phone number and mess with them just to see what type of scam they are running. A lot of stuff in my gmail Spam folder are invoices for fake stuff I never bought like a Best Buy Geek Squad subscription and they give a number to call to cancel. It’s fun to mess around with whoever answers on the other end. LOL

Thanks for all the suggestions.

The email seems legit and i will call Spectrum after i finish running Norton 360 on my pc and phones. I’ll try Virustotal on the mrs. tablet.

To me it seems so generic. They aren’t saying i have something malicious but MAY have. They dont site any web address or app.

I’ll see if they can be more specific. Seems they should know more.

Well the Customer Service Rep told me it may be because they blocked some urls on my devices.

One was my Sheild, one phone and oddly enough, my Amazon echo. She was as confused as i was why the echo would be in the list.

The Nvidia links were only for one day and i did have to delete and reinstall IPVanish recently. So my vpn was down and i didn’t know it. But now its fixed. I’m guessing if my vpn was active spectrum wouldnt know the sites i was visiting. edit This was all “Fight” related. Tried a few links before i found a good one.

My phone was 2 links but not really concerned.

But my echo is weird. I literally only ask it for weather l, turning my lights on/off and music every now and then.

I’m still running checks on the devices but all seems good otherwise.

Well it wasn’t phising and i didnt have any actual malware/virus detected on any of my devices.

It seems it was Spectrum just letting me know there was some strange url activity that was blocked.

Which for my Nvidia was me looking for a link for ufc. W/O my vpn activated i believe.

My phone was one url that popped up a different day. Not sure what it was.

But for something to trigger my Amazon Echo has me wondering :thinking: what the heck that could do that. You don’t search urls with it. As far as i know it uses Amazons own data center. But what do i know.

Any ideas?

Did you look at the address the e-mal came from? (You may need to hit “Reply” and look at the address bar). If it wasn’t Spectrum.com then it was likely a fishing e-mail. Just because the Spectrum rep gave you a boilerplate reply doesn’t necessarily mean the email came from them.

1 Like

Well she did check and said that they did send the email. So i am pretty confident it came from them.

No reason to lie about that.

I’ve gotten that email twice in the last year and a half.
I’ve ignored them and have not had anything happen.
I’ve also logged into my spectrum account and didn’t have any alert or notification about it

Ah, OK, that wasn’t clear from your post.

It was my first time and it caught me by surprise. I checked on the app like the CS Rep suggested. Its under “Services” then “Internet”. You then would see something callled Security Shield. It lists the ones being blocked and by what device.

At this point i am ok with the email since they arent wrong or accusing me of doing anything wrong. I don’t downoad stuff so they cant accuse me of it.

But it did peak my curiosity as to why or how my Echo dot it getting flagged links. Like I said i only use it to turn on/off lights, weather and some occasional music. I am taking a guess that Amazon is probably doing something that flags the link with Spectrum.

Btw i tested it last night and it seems to only flag the Nvidia when the VPN is disconnected.

No problem. I wasn’t clear on that.