Sony Patents Technology That Can Block Sideloaded Apps

I can’t help but wonder how the technology will interact with Kodi, it is available in the play store after all.

Sony is a killjoy anyway. I can remember maybe 15-20 years or so ago, back when everyone was still burning their own music cd’s… my cd’s would play in pretty much everybody’s stereos, unless it was a Sony brand. They are tough on crime! LOL

Seems odd though that Sony would be implementing this anti-piracy patented technology in devices outside their own brand. Firesticks? Doesn’t even sound logical. Makes it sound like they have control over Amazon.

““Sony’s intentions, it seems, are to implement this technology in streaming devices such as Firestick and Android TV.””

They block my Max from 3rd party apps I’m divorcing it. The love fest will be over. Can you say “hello” Android TV. :exploding_head: :rabbit:

3 Likes

Oh I know it would take a drastic move to get between Miki and his Firesticks! :boom: :dizzy_face: :boom: This would certainly do it and be the tipping point for probably many, many more people.

2 Likes

makes stock android all the more relevant :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Yup I have 2 old Stock Android T95Z Boxes that have worked great for 5+years. If/when I do need another Box that is the way I’ll go

1 Like

But what is “stock” Android? everybody wants to screw with it and make their own interpretation of it.

I think he means there are 3 types of Android. There’s Amazon’s Android version of the OS, there’s the AndroidTV version which you’ll find on a Shield, and then there’s stock Android which you’ll find on regular Android boxes and cell phones.

EDIT: sorry for answering for you @TXRon, I’ve just had too much caffeine today :dancer:

1 Like

Indeed, that is what I think too, but all these box manufacturers want to tweak them and make them their own. If they would make it transparent what exactly there OS is then it would help. I don’t see that any time soon.

1 Like

True. And a lot of sellers like to embellish their boxes content… using flashy advertisements and mumbo jumbo specs to make it sound better than it is. Sometimes outright lies, lol.

1 Like

Control control control.

But i don’t see how they will do this with boxes not asscoiated with google or amazon. Good luck.

Anyone who buys a smart tv dont count on being able to sideload it.

1 Like