Slow IPTV with Surfshark

Over the weekend I tried two different IPTV services , using Surfshark, nothing but problems, slow , buffering and also drop outs, try different settings. Just for the heck of it I restored IPVanish that I have until March. Most if not all my issues are gone! I don’t know why ? This experimenting was on 4 Wi-Fi devices and one Ethernet device(Shield) . The Shirld never had issues with either VPN. BTW I have 500 Mbps download service.

I just downloaded the free Proton VPN
I did a speed test on it and on my Surfshark.
Amazing. No difference in speed. Thanks for the tip.

2 Likes

That’s very interesting @slickrick33594 Thank you for the info! sounds like SS has a lot of issues to deal with so everyone should do there own trial to see if it works for you. Proton for all it’s shortcomings is still one of the best.

Thanks for the information on Proton.

2 Likes

It does take a couple hours but I finally reset my firestick.
I had to download and reinstall all my apps starting with downloader and using a lot of the quick codes provided by Troypoint.
Absolutely no buffering and it runs like brand new.

1 Like

Did you happen to jot down any speed test results while running SS VPN vs the IPV? Sometimes looking at the settings (server location, protocol) vs the speed numbers on each helps to quantify and identify where the issue could be. It isn’t fair to any VPN or piece of software to judge it on a small scale, the judgement should be finding the sweetspot and looking at this from a longer trial. It is very possible Surfshark just isn’t the right VPN for you, and that is okay. But I know there were some speed issues and some weird stuff going on with choosing a server etc this weekend, so I hope you didn’t trial it at a bad time and gave up on it because of that.

1 Like

Once I set my firestick back to it’s original settings and installed my apps and SS and Proton Everything was working well with no buffering. SS and Proton gave me almost identical speeds. The only real difference was Proton is the free version.

1 Like

My speeds were good on both! No, I’m not putting down SS. I’m actually throwing out this for feedback and I appreciate your thoughts , I’m going to continue my observations for the next few weeks. I have paid subs for both with IPVanish renewal up in March. [quote=“AMD237, post:26, topic:85948, full:true”]
Did you happen to jot down any speed test results while running SS VPN vs the IPV? Sometimes looking at the settings (server location, protocol) vs the speed numbers on each helps to quantify and identify where the issue could be. It isn’t fair to any VPN or piece of software to judge it on a small scale, the judgement should be finding the sweetspot and looking at this from a longer trial. It is very possible Surfshark just isn’t the right VPN for you, and that is okay. But I know there were some speed issues and some weird stuff going on with choosing a server etc this weekend, so I hope you didn’t trial it at a bad time and gave up on it because of that.
[/quote]

1 Like

I just did another test with Ookla using Miami.
No VPN 69
SS 37
Proton 23
Now that is a huge difference.

I/m only paying for 70

A knowledgeable poster here pointed me to the speed test available in the SS app. You can use it to find the fastest server in your favorites. But it’s only available using Windows I think. You disconnect SS and then find it in the VPN setting under settings. So you can find the fastest server using SS on your laptop or PC and this should translate to the fastest server for your box (I think). Seems easier than using Anality; and as you said, SS never actually chooses the fastest server in the app.

When I deleted IPV from my fire tablet and installed SS, it bricked it. I believe IPV left some residual nasties that effected SS and thus my tablet. It was put into an unresolvable loop and I couldn’t even reset it to factory from the small BIOS menu. So could be something similar happening with those that had or have IPV and are now running SS. It also could also have been a coincidence. Weird things also happened to my FS and Mecool when I did the switch. However, the “interference” seemed to disappear about a week later.

Thanks for the reply. I now have a faster server.