Shield Battery Life

I burn through a set of batteries in my Shield Pro almost every week. Is this common?

try turning off the backlight

1 Like

Not for me. I have the pro and it usually lasts a few months. And thats with the illumination turned on and the only remote used with that tv.

Have you checked the battery level in settings when you change them? Maybe its the batteries.

I only change mine maybe 5-6 times a year and I have the backlight on, etc. I would try better batteries made for higher drain devices and see if they last longer.

1 Like

In a year I have changed my batteries once, and trust me, my remote gets a hell of a workout every day.

3 Likes

My remote gets daily, frequent use - backlight is on. Using standard alkaline batteries, I change every 3-4 months.

Do you believe your batteries are going bad every week or is your remote just losing pairing with Bluetooth and just not being responsive?

I actually get a message on the screen telling me to change the batteries.

We all get that message when the batteries are low.

How old is your remote? How old are the batteries? Have you contacted Nvidia?

Watch the backlight and make sure it is turning off after you sit it down. I had this issue once but cant remember what I did. If that light stays on thats the issue. I use re-chargable batteries.

1 Like

They make some pretty nice aftermarket remotes also that works with the shield, if you can’t solve the battery issue and don’t want OEM.

I was responding to mthr1 suggestion of whether it was losing pairing. My thinking was if I was receiving the message to replace the battery it wasn’t a pairing issue but a battery issue.

I do use rechargeables. I also went into settings and made a couple of changes in regards to powering only when the power or netflix buttons were pressed. I couldn’t find the option for turning off the backlight.

For backlight>
Settings>Remotes & Accessories>SHIELD accessories> click on your connected remote. Mine is labelled SHIELD remote 1>Backlight settings

1 Like

Ok no problem. You never mentioned in your post you were using rechargeable batteries until now. Or did i miss that?

Just curious, have you tried nonrechargeable batteries? I am sure you know rechargeable batteries cant hold a full charge forever. Just like any cell phone or EV, battery life is limited.

I keep my glasses case next to where I watch from with older batteries. If Shield freezes, I rotate older batteries in, then it works 'til the next time, then put the other ones in. Usually last for quite awhile. Don’t know why.

I keep a mini keyboard dongle plugged into my shield, then on the rare occassion my remote stops responding, I simply get the KB out, carry on with what I was doing, then reboot the system and everything is back to normal.

No, I change only every few months, with a fair amount of use. Good luck.

My shield remote was going through batteries once a week - problem is the batteries are probably old - I think most were purchased during the pandemic. Try purchasing some new batteries 1st and see if it makes a difference. 3 of mine did this and I put in newer batteries and it fixed the issue. Good luck!

Those batteries may have covid lol

2 Likes

lol, good point. Made my day.

2 Likes