Router Suggestions

I need some help, I recently upgraded my laptop to a MSI Raider I9 and I am finding my router does not support wi-fi 6 or the more advanced capabilities of this machine; I am writing today to ask for a recommendation for a new router. I am currently with Spectrum running a 500 meg and am thinking of upgrading to 1 gig. I need a router that will support my current set-up today and have the capability of handling more bandwidth when I upgrade. Spectrum provided a Sagemcom fast 5260 which in my opinion is not a good set-up. It consistently fails to broadcast 5G and this frustrates the heck out of me.

Your assistance is appreciated!

2 Likes

@sdd

Check with your provider first to see if they support wifi 6.

Asus routers are your best bet.

8 Likes

Thanks, I see that is what Troy uses, so I think I will go with ASUS. My ISP does support wifi 6.

3 Likes

@sdd

Glad they do. I would ask them on equipment upgraded on their end. A hi fi wireless modem with duel and triple band support including wifi 6. If they don’t have one then get a router.

Especially if your upgrading to 1g, you will need the hardware for it.

4 Likes

I agree, Asus modems are the best. Best to use one with a tri-band Wi-Fi router if you have multiple people in the house using up bandwidth though.

2 Likes

Another Vote for Asus…with merlin firmwre :+1:

edit…ax86u or ax88u

3 Likes

This is from a post Troy made,
all you need is 25 Mbps to stream 4K or 8 Mbps to stream 1080p. Having more than that is overkill and doesn’t help you.

As far as the router Asus are top rated

2 Likes

Not sure about that. I find I need around 35 plus bps or better on the download and 15 plus bps on the upload speeds to avoid buffering on hd streams. Nobody mentions upload speeds but they are important. Anything below 10 bps on the upload and you risk getting buffering or freeze ups, no matter how good your download speeds.

5 Likes

The 35MBs down has been something I’ve stated on many occasions but seems to be ignored. Yes in a perfect network with consistent IP speeds maybe 25 is good, but in the past 4 years of learning and programming the firestick all my customers with speeds of 35+ have very few complaints about buffering or quality. Those with speeds under 30 always seems to have issues. So I guess a lot depends on your IPs infrastructure.

3 Likes

I’m using the Asus RT-AX82U and an Asus RT-AX56U with AiMesh setup. Currently have 1 gigabyte Fibre FTTP. Works really well :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I use Asus. They are rock solid with maybe the mesh units switch a little slow when from a distance. They have a very good user interface with great security protocols.

I have used an Eero mesh system for about a year and have had no problems with it. Actually the only problem I have had is some of my 2.4 items have trouble connecting since 5 is the primary. I just temp disable the 5 until the others connect. It’s a good unit and switched from an Orbi because it was squirrely at times

1 Like

I have the Asus Model RT-AX82U super router if you wanna to spend the bucks very reliable and lot’s of option I have it bridged with my ISP router,it got good source of range throughout the house with good speeds I only buy Asus products laptops etc etc

1 Like

have any if you had any experience with the Synology Mesh Routers?

I have not but they are supposed to be very good and made in Taiwan. Good company and very vpn friendly

Am pretty new here so am apologizing ahead of time if I’m not posting right or definitely not meaning to overstep just thought I’d offer my two cents….
Asus is very top notch :ok_hand:t3: and is definitely doing a very good job on “keeping up with the Jones’s”, also comes with a nice price tag, which is for sure get what you pay for, pay good money for good equipment = slim-nil complaints!! That being said if ur like me and would like to atleast advance urself some and have fun too but don’t have a big pile of moolah :moneybag: another great product (again stating my opinion only) would be TP-Link they’re definitely a very nice product and not entirely too costly either and are also doing their part to “keep up with the Jones’s”!!
Did anyone see the new router they brought to the table for CES?? :thinking:
WOW :star_struck:

1 Like

@Slayer81 Wow…rotating antennas…very cool :clap: I’ve got an inexpensive TP-Link that’s been working fine for me for a couple of years…so I concur.

1 Like

Yesss!! Isn’t it sweet!!
I just bought and installed the C4000 for my Wi-Fi 5 and love it!! Wish they would push out the 6 where I am but no telling there! :roll_eyes:
Am very pleased tho and love the very easy to use interface they have very user friendly for those that are beginners too!! :ok_hand:t3: :clap:t3:

This may be a little off topic, but how long should you power down a modem/router to force an IP address change?

I am setting up a smart plug (timer) to power off and on each night and would like to know if powering it off long enough to force an IP address change is a good thing or not. If it doesn’t matter, then I will just have it power off and on for about hour each night.

I power mine down for 1 minute but different brands its different times and circumstances. Some times it isnt changed sometimes it is. as soon as my modem boots then my router boots. Its actually a back to back boot.

1 Like