Rest set to factory default

So if I re- set my 4k max firestick to factory default what happens to the apps on usb. Do I need to just un plug it before re-setting and then re- format it to use it again after the re- set?

Once reset, your device won’t recognise anything on the USB. Even if you reinstall the Apps etc, you’ll have potential issues. If you go as far as a factory reset on a device, just format the USB and start over with a clean install of all Apps and settings. It will save you time and hastle :+1:

1 Like

Actually if you’re returning the Stick to factory, that your USB Drive is plugged into, then my inderstanding is that you remove the USB drive from the OTG cable or hub then return the firestick to factory, plug the USB drive back in and it should read it and the apps should be useable. I’ve never tried it myself though and I personally suspect that with the firestick returned to factory, when you plug the usb back in it will ask you if you want to format it. Either way the same usb drive will work and nothing really lost. Now this could be because even though you use the USB drive for apps, there is some of the apps data kept on the stick itself. Now I’ve tried to find out what data that may be, but I can’t find anyone that can tell me precisely what it is. So returning to factory wipes the supposed app data off the stick and so the app on the usb drive may not function. I guess you’re going to be the guinea pig :pig2: :smirk: :roll_eyes: :crazy_face:

1 Like

Please review this for all firestick issues and guides, if the following hasn’t worked feel free to ask.

This should resolve most to all issues.

1 Like

I experimented on this a few months ago. I think the issue is because any App, even installed directly onto the USB will have root directory info installed on the Firestick. That info is needed to “run” the App. So if you reset the Firestick, you basically remove the “route” that told the firestick to go to the USB and fire up the App. Even reinstalling Apps that were previously there doesn’t recreate that path directly, so the App on the USB is null & void data. One instance also taught me this! Removing a USB where Apps have been installed won’t allow you to reinstall the same App onto the reset Firestick. Probably because of the retained data on the Firestick from that previous instal. I just kept getting errors! The fix was to always uninstall all Apps that are located on the USB, before you remove the USB and perform the Firestick reset. That removes the previous installation and “run” data used to fire up the App. So when you start a-fresh, there’s no conflict!

1 Like

Exactly. That has been my research as well. Ran into that when ppl were talking about cloning sticks. Always nice to hear directly from someone who has actually done it. Tx for this.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.