Recommendations for best Wifi Mesh router system for full home use

Off topic. Acknowledged.

sim_bill - you’ve mentioned both xfinitystreams as well as Fenix. Do you consider them equal in what they offer? Or would you choose one over the other if you only wanted one service?

Thanks!

Thanks sim-bill - I signed up for Fenix streams as a back-up (or potentially my new primary) app to SportzTV.

Q - how do you either record or watch TV series/programming on either of these services (if at all). You mentioned a catch up feature - how does that work? If I can get that figured out, I’ll say goodbye to YouTube TV, as it’s the only reason to watch it it my household.
Thanks!

No catchup is available with Fenix or Infinity. You’ll need to use Utube or another service for that. Personally, I found I could do without catchup as most iptv services that offered it did a poor job of maintaining their catchup channel guides, which requires daily work by the provider. I know Utube does maintain their catchup, but I like the menu set up and channel guides better on Fenix than Utube TV, which I have also tried. The extensive live tv, tv and movie vod selections on Fenix more than make up for the lack of catchup channels. Besides, it’s quite a bit less expensive than Utube TV.

sim_bill -

Would the Netgear Nighthawk series X6 3200 be a good stand alone router for a single family 2 story house (including the basement)? Or would a mesh system that has a unit on each floor provide better/more consistent wireless coverage. Asking for a friend… :slight_smile:

Not sure as it depends on the house materials but I have a 2 story wood frame and the router works fine on both levels. If a weak signal persists, you could also consider a power line adapter, which plugs into a wall socket through a LAN port. You can research this on the internet.

1 Like

Yup… everything we are using to stream will be subjected to the weakest link. If it were possible to dump Comcast for a satellite internet service I’d look into it. Sounds like Comcast is too dictatorial with its customers. Fortunately, I’m with a smaller provider locally and don’t have that problem. You should have the option of buying your own modem and routers.

I have Comcast for my internet also, but I use my own modem/router, Arris SurfBoard SG-6900. Don’t quote me on the exact model number, but it’s close. Lol. It is compatible with Comcast. There are a few other manufacturers of Comcast compatible routers out there too. You just have to be ok with getting into your admin settings and changing a few things. I’m actually getting ready to purchase a new router as mine is about 5 years old and now needs to be reset more often .

sim_bill, thanks for the great information and recommendations! :+1:

If You need amazing performance and reliability, I’d suggest you consider unifi mesh system from ubiquiti. It is on the expensive side of products but it is enterprise grade and is very intuitive to set up and manage.

You are welcome. So much of this is by trial and error. I’ve been streaming for over 5 years now, and it really pays off to research this stuff to keep up to date on available tech and services. When you think you know everything, that is when you start having problems.

1 Like

I just got an Arris router and I’m new to cord cutting. Before I got the new Arris router, all of the free movie apps worked wonderfully. Now, I can’t get any of the apps such as Cinema, Cyberflix or the ad free YouTube to work for me. I rest to factory settings and tried to follow the Troypoint instructions again and still, they won’t work. What router settings do I need to change? I’m not very tech savvy but I’ve never had these issues and I’ve been using Troypoint tutorials and haven’t had any issues with installing free apps until I changed to the Arris Surfboard modem/router combo. Can you give me some tips please? I also have Comcast and it seems we have a similar set up here. Thank you.

Ya but you can always use split tunneling to allow apps like your online banking to bypass the vpn.
If your house is that big you might also look into powerline adapters.

I have had my Asus mesh router system for a while now. I have casually looked for a way to go into the software and see if I could pick which node that I want each device to connect to. Since I haven’t found the answer, I assume it isn’t possible. But it sure would be nice as some of them auto-connect to (what I feel is) the wrong node. Has anyone dug into this and found out a definitive answer if this is possible or not? If it is, where would you find this setting?

I have an Arris 8300 DOCSIS 3.1 modem/router combo that I bought slightly used and works fine with Comcast/Xfinity out of the box. My service is 400 mbps and I usually get that without the VPN on. More like 70 with the VPN on. I would go through the rigor of contacting Comcast and working with them to get it going. Don’t tell them about those apps though. I sure you know this, but use a VPN so they don’t send you a letter or throttle you. Also uninstall and reinstall those apps using TP Toolbox and Downloader codes if they are available.

This topic was automatically closed after 20 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.