Real-Debrid Security?

I was wondering about the security of using Real-Debrid given it is not a VPN itself nor affiliated to a VPN, by what I can tell.
When you sign up to Real-Debrid you have to give your email address, which can of course be traced back to you, unless you give a spoof email address, but I would assume the Real-Debrid account would then fail. You also have to pay Real-Debrid, another way of tracking you.
Now I know VPN’s are supposed to be secure, or rather as secure as you can be to the normal hacker (not so much if you really need to be found with some), but if you can be traced/tracked using Real-Debrid, what use is a VPN for streaming.

6 Likes

Always using a VPN gives you the best level of security as it does offer a level of ID protection between you and a torrent host. Having a RD account may appear to be a risk, as you said, there’s a chance you would be ID’d through association. I dont think anyone should be worried about the consequences at that level. Your activity within RD is not recorded or saved for any significant period. If you are viewing or downloading content that is not cached and required cloud based services, delete those records from RD on a daily basis. Also if uploading and converting torrents via RD, delete that activity also on a regular basis. This is simply my understanding, so please review advice from elsewhere to satisfy yourself that using RD is for you.

2 Likes

For me the only way to pay is with CC, when connected through VPN payment process will not be completed, and will proceed only when disabling VPN.

That’s very odd. I use RD and pay with a credit card and my VPN active. Used 3 different VPNs as well.
IPVanish, ExpressVPN and Proton VPN.

2 Likes

@_Mike

You are breathing to much into it. If a legal entity wanted rd shut down they just order them at no effect to you.

Its a legitimate server hoster so its doubtfull. Your best option is to use the vpn on your streaming devices to stop eyes from seeing the end stream node where the links go to.

7 Likes

@Miki
@TP-Dracoo

Yeah I think so too RD is an legitimate company I don’t have to worry about it.

Maybe it’s because the bank has tightened the security for payment process to prevent fraud and not allowing payment anymore trough VPN.

I have tried all options but this was the only one.

2 Likes

Online Bank of America won’t work with a VPN at all and WellsFargo sees you as an unknown IP address (so forces two factor authentication). They are the two biggest commercial banks in the US. Don’t know how other banks see a VPN.

2 Likes

most banks are now or becoming aware that people prefer a vpn when conductiong banking and allowing it with 2FA etc. It is very dangerous to bank from an open wifi .

4 Likes

Ya if I have my VPN on when trying to do Canadian online banking, I have to wait for an authentication code to enter through my Secure ProtonMail as I only have a mexican number and they refuse to use anything but Cdn phone numbers.

3 Likes

The payment process are different in each county

1 Like

I’ve been using RD since 2015 and I haven’t had any paranoid ordeal @all

I was not questioning the use of VPN, merely trying to highlight the fact that RD is not secure.
I always have VPN turned on with all devices, the bank is not an issue so much, given that has a 2 layer security protocol, plus a third active security layer, each time I access the bank. I also tend to use Paypal, given it hides my bank account by going through a proxy, Banks of course can be compelled to give out your info to the Government, no matter what country you live in. Its all about state security you know. :roll_eyes:

My question was not down to paranoia, merely a question that if someone wanted to trace all those that stream content, when using RD, it just makes it easier for this to happen, regardless of if you have VPN or not.
Thanks for all the replies.

@Kingpro its a pity RD don’t have an automatic clearing of activity and data, but that is a good idea.

@TP-Dracoo Not that its likely to happen, given RD probably has a good legal team with disclaimers in place, why shut down a service when you could get the end user through that service.

Everyone speaks of security of the individual, and they are, at the end of the day, the ones that the authorities from different bodies are aiming to shut down. Call me cynical but this looks ever more about justification of jobs for the boys and girls, given the revenue they have retrieved is miniscule, compared to the amount they spend on job security. :laughing:

1 Like

@_Mike

Real debrid is more secure than you think, it uses https encryption nodes. As far as payment you do know you can use payments not attached to you? You can use prepaid cc… there is options. I know what you are saying but as they operate legally the streams associated with it regardless if government ties them to you or not is irrelevant. You are not directly downloading them as torrents to your pc. If anything they would just shut it down. Now if you where an uploader and giving torrents to them thats where you want to be careful. There is alot of levels of protocols to go thru to get to you as an individual.

Country
Isp
Decryption of your usgae
And prove that its you

Its a lengthy ordeal which is why people like ace go after the end user, ie iptv providers or real debrid for example, easier to shut the soruce down than the user.

3 Likes

Onward Through the Fog…Stream On :skull: :sunglasses: :beers:

3 Likes

I’ve had the same issue as well with IPVanish. Without disabling the vpn the payment option are not accessible.

My issue has always been you need to register with RD by turning off your VPN. That registers your IP address. Doesn’t matter that you turn on VPN after registering they still have the ability to track via your IP.

Unless their registration process has changed.

That’s true they do, but unless you have paid for a specific IP address(static) then your IP is dynamic and so will change on a schedule determined by your IP. Now in windows you can open a command prompt and “release” your IP Address and then wait for a few minutes and “renew”, thus obtaining a new IP address. I think RD uses the initial IP to determine your geographical IP location, I don’t think they keep your MAC address which is your unique device ID. But I could be wrong.

Miki is correct. I use ipvanish and Proton vpn when I pay with a cc. Sometimes a site’s pay portal may appear hinky to my cu so the usual device is not recognized warning appears. A text is sent to my phone with a temporary code to allow verification and payment. I also have been using DB for years, never an issue.

2 Likes

If you are concerned about being linked with a CC, maybe buy a visa gift card CC using cash and pay RD with the gift card CC.

2 Likes