Question about VPN Logs

Maybe someone can answer this or maybe I’m just grasping at straws. If a VPN claims they do not log anything, how is it you are limited on devices for some? Just seems like a reasonable question that they are logging something, somehow they know how many connections you’re running. Just something I ponder for some reason. Lol

1 Like

@Streaming429

Different logging.

They know how many connections you are running, every major app or program has internal checks. That information gets stored. This doesn’t mean they are logging your inet traffic, just the data of connections and hardware info.

Whether or not vpns store traffic data depends on the company.

But every major program has data and error logging, which monitors connections and ports.

Vpns can monitor your internet data on there server.

This info doesn’t go to your isp.

3 Likes

Thanks @TP-Dracoo I figured it was an easy explanation. Just tired and didn’t feel like thinking too deep. I appreciate it!

1 Like

@Streaming429

Not a problem. This is why you spend money on quality vpns with proper encryption.

1 Like

@TP-Dracoo Exactly. First one I purchased this year was Surfshark and they have really improved it massively. Updated to 10gbps servers and anytime I connect, they’re all pretty much open. No more buffering plus speeds 200+ Not to mention an actual kill switch that works like a charm. I’ve become a huge fan

1 Like

I think it’s more dependent on region.

The country the company is registered in, the law…dictates whether or not the company might be required to keep/hand over connection logs. After that yes it’s a company decision.

My 2 cents.

Capp

2 Likes

@Capp

Very true. But you could use a vpn company from a different country that doesn’t give out their customers info as it’s illegal in the country the vpn resides in.

But there is ways around that too. The only time I see requests for such info is people with major torrents or ip services they want shut down.

Not users like you or I streaming on free apps.

WB is bad for it.

2 Likes

Isn’t that the point? If my VPN is registered in Lala Land and that country’s laws say it’s illegal to share ip logs (I assume this is what you mean by customer info), then I’m covered.

Capp

Oh and you give me too much credit lol, I do too many ‘grey’ things online :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I really didn’t want this going in the wrong direction. I was just curious as to “We don’t keep logs” but “We log how many connections you run” is all. Kind of a vague description and question I guess

1 Like

@Capp

Aha yes, I’m just adding to the convo of ip loging and vpn logging.

@Streaming429

You are fine. It’s good to be educated on vpns, always protect your self. Troypoint does explain this well most of it on his website. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@TP-Dracoo Yes he does. I just wish there was a “VPN Category” to streamline it all. Kind of a guessing game as to what category to post a VPN question under. If you search VPN, its all over the place. My two cents

1 Like

@Streaming429

You are fine here as it is a apk when using it on a devices other than a pc.

1 Like

Ahhh ok.

Well I’m assuming when you login to your VPN you go through an authentication server to confirm you have an account, and that server tracks the number of active connections.

How many connections you have has nothing to do with the level of protection (or it shouldn’t) you have so it’s not a concern that I’ve ever worried about.

Is that better? :slight_smile:

Capp

3 Likes

Nothing I worry about. Just a lot going on and a lot of thinking going on at the moment.

1 Like