Protect your identity with hide-my-email aliases in Proton Mail

6 Likes

I paid for this about 3 weeks ago. Not easy to use. Although the instructions make it seem easy, it isn’t. There is no way to access the alias creation from within the Android mobile app and forces you to go to their mail site online in order to find the creation panel. Definately needs more work before it’s mainstream usable. Should be just a simple click option in the mobile app. Good start though. With the “Unlimited” account, which is what I have, I think you get 90 something alias emails. Thanks Mr. @TXRon for the info. Good morning and have a wonderful day.

2 Likes

would never pay for email. Have used Gmail for at least 20+ years. SPAM Filter catches 95% of the SPAM and I just delete the rest. Not worried about the Chinese Govt, or the boogeyman but then again I’m less paranoid than most of the nervous Nellie’s here.

1 Like

I get more spam emails after I order something from Amazon or ebay.!

I always used their free email, and had to when I lived in Mexico, as because it is end to end encrypted, it’s the only way the Big Banks here in canada will send you verification codes and 2FA when trying to do some necessary banking functions. I didn’t have a Canadian phone number and they won’t use a foreign number. I also use their VPN and this was just a small account update for virtually the same amount of money. While I’m not a nervous nellie I also don’t walk down the street handing out a pamphlet with all my accounts and passwords listed.

2 Likes

I’ve been using Proton Plus plan for over a year now. The email alias is great and use it through their Simple Login. I went with the Unlimited after chatting with @Miki about his thoughts on the VPN. I’ve tried it prior but not for much time due to lack of options. I decided to let it run on our ONN box and it hasn’t disconnected once in over a week now. I just added it to our bedroom Shield Pro and it’s been running great for a couple days now. They have options in the pipeline that they will be adding which is great news. Split tunnel very soon to start

2 Likes

thanks ,i love it

Not to downplay Proton, I have a free email account with them, but is anyone using Startmail and how is it going? I’m considering a paid email provider.

Proton is a paid email provider, the service you are using is the bare bones free version. Startmail is very nice as well.

I have had and used their free E:mail account for 2 years. They have decided to allow ppl to upgrade to unlimited for a small monthly increase over the usual VPN charge. Worth it IMHO. Password vault with extra access for family members. I think it’s 10 TB of cloud storage. 99 e:mail aliases. 10 devices. Many more features, lots to learn. It was just a couple of bucks more per month so I figured what the heck. I signed up for another 2 yrs.

2 Likes

Do all the email aliases always have to contain the simplelogin prefix in the alias email?

No they don’t. There are random ones l

Thought I’d put my two cents in. I’ve been using Proton mail for about a year and there is a lot to like about it. However, I also have a service (Albine Blur) now called Iron Vest. IR allows easy setup of alias emails, forwards,etc. All the stuff you’d need to fly under the radar. Unlike some emails, including Proton, alias email addresses with IR will actually not forward blocked emails and stuff. The also offer virtual credit cards, password control, address & identity profiles, masked emails and phone number, secure pay and hidden cryto pay. There is a fee but if you can utilize most of the services it might be worth it to you. Why not take a look (ironvest.com) and decide if its a fit for you.

With the email alias from proton I only create one for the service or contact I want to have it. Noone else has that alias so there is no way that alias goes to anyone else or any place and so I can’t possibly get blocked or unwanted emails, not only rhat if I no longer want that alias I delete it and make another one. So should my contact or service sell my email then that alias is easily deleted and becomes non functioning.