Problem with adding USB Flash Drive to Firestick 4K Max

Hi everyone. I’ve been tearing what’s left of my hair out for the past few days, trying to install a usb 3.0 128gb flash drive to my Firestick 4K Max. The latest thing I tried, is following all of the instructions from Troypoint, on “How to expand internal storage on Firestick…”, to a T. This included formatting 2 seperate same size, but different manufacturers, flash drives, to FAT32 using Rufus, as recommended. I tried both drives separately, and gone through the process of letting the Firestick format the drives for internal storage. Both sticks will appear in “My Fire TV” when I test them (individually), but when I go back and try to install an app, the Firestick no longer recognizes the the flash drives, and tried to install the app on the Firestick itself. When I then go back into My FIre TV, the drive’s are no longer appearing. I can understand this happening to one drive, as it could possibly be faulty, but TWO drives??
If anyone could help me figure this issue out, it would be more than appreciated.
Thanks in advance for any assistance/advise you may offer.
Cheers!!
Mark

It is odd that this happens on 2 different Max. The only thing I can think of is the old “not all usb drives are created equal”. I use USB Sandisk 3.0 drives and not had any issues. I use a powered OTG hub as well that the USB is plugged into. With the Max there is no need to pre format it. Simply take a new drive and plug it into your otg device and let the Max recognize it and then follow the on screen prompts. Not all 3rd party apps will have the option to install or move to the usb. That function is dependent on if the dev adds the code to do this into the app.

1 Like

Miki gave you the answer, but I also think you select expanding internal memory or just adding memory.

1 Like

Please review this for all firestick issues and guides, if the following hasn’t worked feel free to ask.

This should resolve most to all issues.

Thanks for the info, and I did read the posts, which are fine, but NONE of them helps with the issue I’m. They’re all more or less an argument about whether someone should use a flash drive with their systems, or just us the Firestick as is.
These topics are simply others people’s opinions, and frankly preaching using their so called “knowledge” about everything.
If I can’t get a useful answer here, I’ll find it elsewhere. I’m going to waste my time reading every little post that has nothing to do with my issue, or my question.

Thank you!

Then go somewhere els, your issue has been explained in great detail and lots of helpful guides. If you refuse to read the details then im closing this topic. Good luck. Adding external storage to a firestick has been explained over and over.

1 Like