Onn box reboots as soon as I let go of reset button

Hey guys,

I’m having an issue resetting my Onn box (well 3 of them!).

The remote stopped working and I am getting a load error in the Home Screen so I can’t re pair the remote.

All of them have the same issue and the issue is due to maxing out the space on the box (that’s another story).

I am attempting to reset the them by

1. Holding down the reset button
  2. Unplugging the box
  3. Plugging the box back in

I get to the reset screen but as soon as I let go of the button, the box reboots.

I can’t use it to navigate and the remote is still unresponsive.

Does anyone know of any other ways I can try to navigate the reset screen or are my boxes just paper weights at this point?

1 Like

i hope you get this problem fixed.

I assume you have tried another power supply and power cable.Try another hdmi cable, Strange things happen to electronic devices sometimes. I have had simple things cause problems then just bad devices.
Good luck

I can swap around the power supplies and see what happens. They are pretty specific to these boxes.

I did plug the power supply directly into a wall socket to make sure there was plenty of power.

I have tried a different HDMI cable and also 2 different TVs on different occasions.

Definitely will keep hunting to see if a solution presents itself. At least till I get tired of trying lol.

1 Like

Factory reset. Remove the power, now press and hold the reset button and apply the power, wait 5 seconds then release.
For a repair remote reset, make sure power is applied then press the reset button and hold for 5 seconds.

4 Likes

Ok wow. So yeah that absolutely worked. I was literally holding the button until the reset screen popped up.

You’re a life savor for this one! I can finally put the Amazon devices back in the back of the closet again lol.

Much appreciated!

4 Likes

I’m having the exact same issue. Is there no soft reset with these or only factory resets?

Well two ways,

There was a typo in my response so:
For a repair (should have been re-pair) remote reset, make sure power is applied then press the reset button and hold for 5 seconds.

The above doesn’t do a hard (factory) reset, it is so you can “pair” a remote if it is no longer paired with the device.

The original question was around not being able to use the remote.

If the remote works you can do a reset from the settings or you could just power it off and back on by removing the power.

1 Like

I’m hoping this pic transfers but it may not. I’ve tried this with the stick in my hand and still in the HDMI port. No luck as of yet. Thanks for the info Timmer.

A couple things here, that screen is for the Onn HD stick which I don’t own. My instructions are for the Onn 4k box that has a reset button next to the HDMI port.

I would ask what issue you are having with that device and I also wonder, since it’s a different device should it be a different thread (question).

I am assuming that long pressing the selection doesn’t work? Do you get this screen after removing power or unplugging and then reattaching the stick or power?

I think it was noted by Troy the Onn HD stick was no longer in Walmart stores but we don’t have a reason for that, maybe it’s because of this failure? (Speculation on my part, I don’t have any info to that affect)

Sorry if this isn’t helpful.

2 Likes

May be a box up and return to wally world. Resetting not working.

Yes it’s on the streaming stick. Working perfectly yesterday and today getting the unable to load error. No remote control functions and the small pin into reset not helping. Thanks for all the info Timwort.

My issue was due to lack of space on my Onn 4K boxes. I wonder if that is also why you got the load error. I have noticed that some system apps seems to take of space and we don’t have a way to delete it.

If you were able to get to that reset screen via the pin hole I wonder if navigation would be the same as the reset button on the Onn 4K box where a short press allows you to get to the selection and a long press confirms your selection.

It definitely sounds like you’re at the same point that I was at but with a different device. At the end of the day I believe a factory reset is going to be the only way to get out of that issue (if it’s possible). If not, definitely return it if you can.

I had the same problem with my Omni box ofter trying to reset the box with the reset button.holding it with and without power supplied. Logged on to my Google account and removed the device so no one could used it. Then exchanged the box at Walmart.