Onn 4k could not migrate data to usb

hi all:
i am attempting to add storage to onn 4k. debugging off, force all apps on external on, my usb drive shows up correct size. apps, photo, categories all show up but when migrate data to storage i get the error message cannot migrate data to usb.
any help would be appreciated.

Did you format the USB stick on the onn device itself ?

1 Like

Tried fat 32 format on laptop and through onn. Same result on two different sticks. I am missing something not sure what

1 Like

Format it on the onn box to ensure compatibility

1 Like

Ok needed to do a total factory reset. Once reset added usb 128 stick and able to format then migrate data.

2 Likes

Hi Sydney,
I’m having the same issue. I’m able to add the USB drive and format using the ONN. When installing new apps, they automatically install on the USB and I can move them back to the internal storage if I need to. But, if I try to “Migrate data to this storage”, I get the same warning as you do.
Are you now able to use the “Migrate data to this storage” option whenever you want?
Clem

I have not tried moving back from usb to onn will try and let you know. The original issue could not migrate to usb. Will let you know.
Sydney

Doc tried this am able to move apps back and forth

So to summarize disconnected otg cable did factory restore from settings menu. Turned off and disconnected power. Attached otg cable with usb and turned on. Logged into google and screen asked if wanted to format usb. I am using as internal storage. Migrated data to usb the moved back some to internal like surfshark. So far all works well. Hope this helps
Sydne

You can only use the expandable storage for either apps or storage such as pictures and videos. Not both apps and storage. When you add the USB drive it asks you how you want to use the storage . Unfortunately you can’t use it for both apps and regular storage at the same time . This goes with all devices. Not just onn. Some people use a USB hub where you can plug in 3 or 4 devices . You might want to give that a try . Good luck

Hi Sydney & PiratePete!
Thanks for your responses. I have fixed the issue in much the same way that you did Sydney…

1. Eject all USB (I have 2… one as Device Storage and one as Removable Storage)
  2. Factory Reset
  3. Re-installation apps
  4. Add first USB and setup as Device Storage (call it USB1
  5. Successfully migrated data/apps to USB1)
  6. Add second USB (USB2) and setup as Removable Storage (Adoptable?)
  7. Finally… reviewed each app and moved back to Internal Storage those apps that required “full speed access” (such as VPN, MX Player, KODI, etc.)

Now that I’m able to migrate between Internal & USB1 memory, all that remains is testing downloads to USB2. If that works, I’m golden!

Thanks for your help, folks!
Clem

Great job! Glad you got everything working . Happy Streaming :sunglasses:

I had several PNY 256gb USB 3.0 and it formatted to Onn. I then tested ES-file and was able to transfer it to the drive. When I attempted to migrate the data I received the error message `cannot migrate data to PNY USB Drive?

Debugger is off, restarted device several times and cleaned out the cashe but still the same message.

If the PNY wasn’t compatible, it would not have connected correct?

Any help would be great.

Did you switch USB use from “charging” to " media transfer"?
As for USB debugging I always keep it on

It seems like you formatted it to work as expanded storage and not external app storage… reformat the USB stick to work as extra app storage

No Because I’m Stupid hahahahaha
I just read this in Reddit, followed their instructions and presto bingo bango on the bungo, I got noise.
Working and migrating…

Thank you PiratePete

2 Likes

I’ve switched it to media transfer, and still won’t migrate. However. When I return to USB configuration, it’s set back to charging whether I restart Onn or not…

It’s connected now, but just not migrating.
:point_right:t2:Now here’s a stickler. In Kodi, I can move Apps independently to the USB, but not in Onn???

I don’t understand why it keeps returning to charging?

Anytime , happy streaming :v:

I wish I could tell you but my eyes are not there :eyes: here’s a guide to jailbreaking an onn tv box . It also tells you how to set up expandable media. Follow it step by step :

1 Like

Thank you so much… Really appreciate your time and the JailBreak instructions.

Gods speed and enjoy the remainder of your day.

1 Like

You too :+1:

I almost forgot, don’t put KODI or any live streaming apps onto the external drive. They will not perform as well. Keep those apps on the device and everything else on the external . Good luck :+1:

1 Like