Onn 4k cannot access settings

Today I was looking at available updates to apps on my onn 4k tv box. I saw a few google apps and was not certain if I needed them or not, but after going through several menus on the onn, I found that at least one google app was required by the system. So I updated them. When I hit the home button, it looked like my onn device was resetting. It asked about my google account, then went through setting up Google TV. I walked away thinking I had just lost all my apps and a hundred hours of setting my device up exactly as I wanted it. When I came back, all of my apps (plus a few more) were there. All of them worked. But I can no longer access the settings menu. Pressing the settings button on the remote does nothing. Navigating to the settings button on the screen does not happen. The directional arrows on the remote work, but do not allow me to get to the settings icon. I know I can probably do a factory reset and start over from scratch, but before I go down that long and winding road, I just wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced this and might have some ideas. I would also love to know which google apps I must keep and which ones I can uninstall from the onn 4k TV box without affecting its performance. Any advice is much appreciated!

UPDATE
It turns out I didn’t fully understand that the button for pairing the remote is indeed also the reset button. I followed the instructions on this forum (holding the reset button, disconnecting and reconnecting the power, etc) and it worked. I was able to do a factory reset and start over. This time I didn’t set up the additional USB memory, turned off the developer option to resize all apps to be loadable onto USB memory, and I now keep USB debugging turned off unless I am doing something that requires it. I loaded it with the bare essentials and ended up using just over half the allocated internal storage. So far it seems stable. Thank you for all of your suggestions and tips!

This experience was a bit of an attitude changer for me. While I used to think I needed several different ways to do the same thing and downloaded many redundant apps in case one of them failed, I now see that all those redundant apps are probably what caused the failure. Now I only load the apps that consistently work for me and that I use the most. That seems to be a good working strategy for me and a good lesson learned. I am spending much more time watching and enjoying my programs than I am tinkering and adjusting and reprogramming and cursing. Thanks again to all!

This device is for simple essential setup it’s not a shield wouldn’t recommend maxing it out recommend at least TiVo stream 4k or one of the white Google Chromecast devices for all that customization so unfortunately may have to factory reset

1 Like

If you are talking about if you can delete the system apps? Don’t do it. You probably deleted something that is tied to your settings. Go through the main apps and a lot of those you can delete but on my boxes I never delete any of the apps tied to system settings

1 Like

Thank you for your reply. I didn’t directly delete any system apps, but I did uninstall some. When I saw that at least one app with Google in its name was a required system app, I chose to update instead of uninstall the google apps that had available updates. It looks like when I updated Google TV it highjacked my ability to get into the settings menu, but that is pure speculation on my part.

Yeah same thing. That is what I meant is I never uninstall or mess with any of the system related apps

I didn’t think I would have the option to uninstall a system related app using the android settings menu for apps.

Do you have voice on that device? If so, try accessing settings via voice.

1 Like

The device does have voice access, but it didn’t work. Thank you for the tip!

1 Like

Things have gone from bad to worse. I disconnected the device from using my google account device-activity web page. Now it is caught in a loop making me sign in and verify my identity, and asking for access to scan all apps. Cannot break the cycle, and whatever option I choose on the apps question is not accepted. Looks like a factory reset is my only option

Hard Reset

1 Like

owners of the onn 4k box would do good to follow xda on the subject…

[Guides] 2023 Walmart ONN Google TV | XDA Forums
https://xdaforums.com/t/guides-2023-walmart-onn-google-tv.4610749/

1 Like

:laughing: Starting to agree…none of my tricks are working…

Thank you very much, I was not aware of them. I will take a look

Them boxes is pure junk!! Mine randomly deletes apps itself.

when setting up box you will have the option to set up tv & soundbar for the onn remote to turn on & control volume I choose not now but now I would like to set up tv & soundbar how do I get back to that option thx

Go to Settings then Remotes and Accessories then Set Up Remote Buttons.

Pretty sure thats what you were looking for.

You may need to add the device also if you haven’t already.