Onn 4K Android TV box - update remote how-to

Hello all,

I hate asking such a simple question but I’m not sure what else to do. I need to update the remote control on my Onn TV 4K box and I have no clue how to do it. I’ve looked through all of the menu options and nothing pops out that says “update remote”. I did a YouTube and Google search for it and found nothing. I did a search here and found nothing. I know it’s going to be something stupidly easily that I’m just missing but I still need to ask because I’m just not seeing anything. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

When I set up my ONN there was an OTA update that was focused on the remote. It updated automatically.

1 Like

I get an “update the remote” message that pops up every other day so it looks like I never got that particular update.

I unpaired and paired the remote with the box hoping that might trigger something but, unfortunately, it didn’t.

1 Like

Hey @benseac Like Miki stated…the update was a patch dated 2022-02-05 focusing on remote glitches. One way to dbl check if you got the patch is to download the app AIDA64 from the app store, open it & scroll down to Android in the left side column…click on that & the security patch should be the 3rd line down if you got it. Couple of other things…if it’s there but you’re still getting “update remote” popups…try unpairing & pull the batteries for 15 seconds & then pair again…if the popup still comes up then (depending on how convenient if would be for you) maybe consider a factory reset & start all over. Note: pairing can also be redone by pressing the small button on the box…release when a pairing prompt comes up, as I believe it also can be used for factory resets. GL2U :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes

My ONN remote randomly stopped working. I changed batteries and still cant get past the pairing screen because no buttons work. It could be dead and unrelated to this, but maybe it is related and is a common issue.

1 Like

Does your remote light on the top even blink when you press the Home/Back buttons together during pairing?

I’ll give that a try, @pangaeatech. Thanks!

Copy…let us know if/when anything worked or not…ONN box problems/fixes are pretty popular here, & I’ve not seen your particular issue come up before…same with @AMD237 problem.

If you’re not using the original home launcher then you have to disable your installed launcher . Once you’re back on the original home screen you will see a bubble notification on the home screen that says " update remote" click on it . Once it’s done you can go back and enable your preferred launcher in the Launcher app settings . Good luck .
:pirate_flag: Pete :pirate_flag:

1 Like

Press and hold the small button on the side of your onn box where the led light is. After a few seconds the remote pairing screen will appear. Good luck.

No, no lights on the remote blink even after new batteries. Guessing it is dead lol.

Roger that…no light at all is definitely strange, I assume you’re past the 30 day return limit?

1 Like

@PiratePete that was my solution. As soon as I turned off the custom launcher and rebooted my box, I was able to update the remote. Thanks! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Glad you got it resolved :muscle:

1 Like

Thanks that worked