NVIDIA Shield Pro random restarts

Hi all. Thought I would throw this out there to see if anyone can help.

Yesterday afternoon I had my shield and TV on but was doing something else. I had Kodi open and it went into screensaver mode after 10 minutes. I have it set to just blank the screen.

Anyway, I noticed that my TV suddenly woke up after like a half hour. I realised my shield had just randomly restarted. But it never stopped the cycle. Restart, load, blank, restart etc. Finally, I unplugged the box for about 10 minutes or so and it seemed to be fixed. But now it restarts after approximately 30 minutes. So it’s not constant but it is annoying.

I have a ticket open with Nvidia. This is the second time in 2 months were it just keeps rebooting. I did a factory reset last time to fix it.

What I was wondering is are there any diagnostic tools I could use? Or log files I should check out? I have spent my life in IT so I am very familiar with troubleshooting.

So if anyone can help, please let me know. Thanks.

Mike

From the research I’ve done on Nvidia blogs this is apparently a bad power supply/source. One guy even contacted Nvidia and they sent him a new pro, sure enough no reboots, so he unplugged the new Pro and plugged in his old one that was randomly rebooting, and it never randomly rebooted again. Not sure how easy it is to get another power supply. Maybe worth trying.

3 Likes

You know @Miki you bring up an interesting point. I wonder how easy it would be to swap out a faulty part or do an upgrade, similar to PC. I just did that with my old hard drive in my pc and upgraded it.
It’s never been brought up as a topic or for discussion here, but it would be interesting.

2 Likes

Also before any major de-construction I would remove kodi reboot and check for issues. If this perhaps fixes the issue I would re-install kodi with caution or stay with kodi stripped down and no actual build. Just my 2 cents.

1 Like

@MGB123

Hello!

To enable Developer Options, open the Settings screen, scroll down to the bottom, and tap About phone or About tablet. Scroll down to the bottom of the About screen and find the Build number. Tap the Build number field seven times to enable Developer Options.

I’d suggest this, you can get access your logs this way but you will need a adb log tools and run a logcat to see your error logs.

But with your ticket I’d send those logs to nvidia as well. You can do that within your settings.

But as mentioned above I feel it’s more likely to be a power supply issue.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. I did some more thinking about the power source thing and I think it might have been, as Jimmy Buffett put it “my own damn fault”. My power bar has a light on it and when I went to unplug the Shield, the light went out when I moved it. So upon closer inspection, the plug was kind of wonky.

I have moved it to another plug, I did yet another factory reset and things seem to be fine for now.

@TP-Dracoo Yes, I know about turning on Developer options because I was messing around with widgets in a couple of launchers but thanks for pointing me towards relevant logs.

I knew some folks around here would have some good advice. Hope I can return the favour sometime.

Mike

1 Like