NEW Way To Block Amazon Firestick Updates

Just watched the youtube video once, trying it now on my Firestick 4k.

Update:

It uses Adguards firewall ability so any similar app will do the same thing with the same caveat; because it creates a virtual vpn connection it doesn’t tend to play nice with other vpn’s.

I just run the adb command to clear the update cache and run noroot firewall whenever I don’t need a real vpn.

Hopefully someone will figure out a proper workaround else I may be looking to root mine sooner than I expected…

P.S. He’s also got DNS66 installed which I’ve looked at briefly but never tried. Apparently it’s yet another current workaround.

4 Likes

Pretty sure this doesn’t work for newly updated device’s. Got to watch what version codes you have, its covered it troys guides.

1 Like

If you can install and run a software firewall app such as NoRoot, it doesn’t matter what version you’re running you can block the updates.

1 Like

@Capp

The key word there is if. Maybe some can try it out. But its hard to determine with these locked os and frimware. Hopefully it works.

It doesn’t work at all on updated Sticks. I looked at 4 sticks yesterday, for customers, and 3 I was unable to do anything, and one I was able to get it to work. I suspect by Monday it will be too late.

Adguard does support connecting to a vpn as a proxy if your vpn supports socks5.

This does have to be configured manually though and limits features of the vpn such as easily switching servers.

This has always been the tradeoff with using adblockers or dns tools and a vpn. If you have adguard vpn they have a special proxy that configures adguard vpn and adguard adblocker automatically and you can use both. The free version has very limited data like 3gb a month so you will need the paid version for this to work for streaming.

1 Like

There is also a trick for stopping the update on a new device. I have not tried this but others have and say it works.

Turn on your mobile hotspot on your phone.
Get to the part where you connect to a network and connect to your hotspot.
As soon as it says “getting updates” disconnect your hotspot.
On the next page that says network error, hold down the back and menu buttons at the same time for a couple seconds to enter VoiceView mode.
Push the back button to exit VoiceView mode (with your hotspot still disconnected).
You should now be at the registration page. Go ahead and enter your Amazon credentials and turn your hotspot back on to connect.
As soon as your account registers and you get to the home page, proceed to use your preferred method of blocking system updates.

1 Like

Is there a way to get a free mobile hotspot app. I am not subscribed for use of a hotsopt?

I’m going to fall back on what I used to do by choice, but only now to stop further updates and that’s to run a wireless pocket router. This solution will work for everyone if you’re willing to spend the money.

Then it won’t matter as the addresses will be blocked globally and I can still run my vpn (and again either directly on the router or via the app).

I use this one.

GL.iNet GL-AR750S-Ext Gigabit Travel AC Router (Slate), 300Mbps(2.4G)+433Mbps(5G) Wi-Fi, 128MB RAM, MicroSD Support, OpenWrt/LEDE pre-Installed, Cloudflare DNS, Power Adapter and Cables Included.

Top rated, small, custom firmware regularly updated, as well as access to a library of installable plugins. The link is for Amazon Canada but I know it’s on the U.S. site as well.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B07GBXMBQF/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_inactive_ship_o1_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

@Capp

Thats clever but for the average user probably wont do this. I appreciate thr insight tho, rather helpful.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.