Network disconnection with VPN

Hi everyone, I’ve got a Fire Stick4k that has recently started disconnecting from my home network whenever I connect a VPN. This firestick was purchased in Nov. 2021. I have never had this issue with my old 2nd Gen Firestick. I have tried to connect with 3 separate VPN’s, it keeps happening.
I’ve seen some topics where the VPN disconnects, but my VPN stays connected in all cases.
I have ended up having to disconnect from the VPN, and restart the firestick to reconnect to my network. This is very frustrating!
I have seen that using a VPN with a firestick is not allowed with Amazon’s terms of use, but I am not using the VPN to watch Prime video. I use the VPN in order to stay safe using APK’s to watch movies, etc. I could really use some help. Any thoughts, comments, links, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, and Happy New Year!

Its possible the isp is refusing the connection. I would contact them and ask if they are and why cant I use my vpn for banking for security purposes… see what they say.

3 Likes

Thanks for replying TXRon, I don’t think my ISP is the issue, because my provider(RCN) has told me that although they don’t support VPN use (meaning I can’t put one on my router/gateway), they don’t block them either. Also, the VPN works fine on my laptop with my ISP. I’m thinking that maybe one of the new Amazon updates for my 4K firestick is creating the issues.

@CouchGod

Which vpn are you using? Did you go through your settings?

Hi TP-Dracoo,

Thanks for responding back! My main VPN is Proton. I have never had any issue with it before. I also tried IP Vanish, Surfshark, Windscribe, and Zoog. No issues with any of them previously. I really think this is an Amazon issue. I’m going to try using the FireOS Debloater to see if I can find an answer.

Seems like the only thing anymore is to stay away from Firesticks. All I read anymore are issues people are having with them. I understand the ease of use etc. Just my opinion

3 Likes

I agree however firesticks are probally the majority on these forums. I struggled with them for some time, then switched to mecool box and now Shield. I still have one mecool in service tho and its doing well. I keep a couple onn boxes on hand as a backup if needed but havent needed them. And the Shield is just a beast.

2 Likes

Thanks guys, but I’m going to stick with the firestick for a while and try to figure my issue out. They do have issues in general, but if you get one set up and running right they’re great. I had a 2nd Gen previously and used it for years. The only problems I had were storage space and speed, which I thought I had solved with the 4K.

@CouchGod

If all others work but proton I’d suggest going back to one that does work. It’s a possibility that the programming is conflicting with it. Or many other reasons. If 1 doesn’t work out of 6 or so that’s a indication of issues with the vpn on the stick.

I have tried them all, Dracoo. It happens with all of them. The weird thing is that sometimes it works like nothing is wrong. It seems like it happens mostly during the daytime. Strange!

@CouchGod

Others đo have this issue others don’t, it’s tough to tell the root cause. Amazon’s modified android os has conflicts with programs. You can try the debloating tool.

The new 4k Max seems to be less problematic with vpns.

1 Like

I replaced our Firesticks with TiVo Stream 4K’s and an Nvidia Shield Pro in our living room due to some issues with them. Happy I did. “Knock on wood” everything has been running issue free. 6 TV’s

I was looking at the tivo streams. They were pretty cheap on amazon but I was hesitant cause I know nothing about them other than their big brother tivos are over priced vcr,s :rofl: anyways… might make a good back up some day. Are they easy to tweak?

1 Like

For the price these things are great. Easy to use and have worked fantastic. Paid $29.99 USD for them and so far worth every penny. The remote is what sets it apart in my opinion. Very well made and rubber buttons. I highly recommend

1 Like

I bought a TIVO 4K when they first launched before I bought a Sheild. It worked flawlessly for me except I could never connect to my Bluetooth keyboard. I gave it to my daughter for one of her TV’s and is still working fine.

I have 3 other Firestick’s and a Fire TV Cube that I use as a backup to the Shield for recording. I never had problems with them other than the lack of memory. I never experienced the issue you describe, even on my 4K and MAX. I have never used Proton Proton though. I dumped IPVanish a long time ago for Nord with no regrets.

Well I’ve used firesticks for 6 years and not had any major issues, certainly nothing like problems I see on the Shield. With my latest Max there isn’t any chance I’ll pay for anything else.

I had a similar problem. My FS was powered from the TV. I switched the power supply to be from a mains unit instead of the TV and my problem disappeared. Hope it works

2 Likes

Thanks for the responses everyone. I ended up using the FireOS 6 Debloat tool and shut down the Amazon update services. I also turned off services I don’t use like playtime (for kids), rebooted the system, and rebooted my router/gateway. Started everything back up and connected the VPN, everything works fine now. I’m not sure exactly what the problem was (or is), but I watched a movie on the CinemaHD apk last night and had no issues. I’ll keep rolling with it like this and hope it sticks, fingers crossed.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.