Netflix Password Sharing Crackdown - The End of Password Sharing?

Originally published at: Netflix Password Sharing Crackdown - The End of Account Sharing?

Earlier this week, we saw several social media posts talking about Netflix starting to crack down on password sharing. Password sharing is not an uncommon practice among the millions using Streaming Apps like Netflix. A study from the research firm Magid in 2018 estimated that 35 percent of millennials share passwords for streaming. In a…

1 Like

This doesn’t seem right, I have Netflix on my phone for when I’m away from home and I have it on my Firestick at home. I would technically need two subscriptions then?

From Netflix perspective, I can see why they would want to do this, but there are so many services that allow this that this seems to be “spitting’ in the wind” for Netflix.

What I don’t understand is if you’re using IPVanish, how would they know? With the rising interest in using a VPN, it would look like everyone is not at “home”, wouldn’t it?

Just curious…when you use an VPN it sends a different IP address for you to Netflix (instead of your IP from your ISP), so does Netflix (or any other IPTV service) complain/think that you are not the “owner” of that IPTV account as if you are using the password from another person’s account?

You probably can’t use Netflix from a VPN connection.

You can use Netflix behind a VPN connection - however, not all VPNs are exempt from Netflix and their groblocking blacklist.

When I had IPV, I had all sorts of server IPs that Netflix blacklisted.

Surfshark was widely OK - now, there are a few server locations that are being blocked. Most are fine.

I never once shared my Stremio password :skull:

I just installed a Wyze camera and it took some time but they finally let me put the app on another device.