Need Firestick 4kmax os7 storage advise

5.34 GB storage available out of 549 MB. I have deleted most apps except Kodi 19.3 with addons. I have 5 addon’s on Kodi is that too many? I have the Troypoint RAI, downloader, and several apps from TP. Just got IPTV and tivimate (upgraded) but not enough space to install them, My tv is a smart tv so I have apps for several things on that input (Prime, Netflex, Peacock, etc, It just seems to me the Firestick should hold more. Maybe I don’t need some of the things like file explorer, maid sd,???Please advise.

If it’s a Max, adding storage is very easy either an otg cable and say a sandisk 32GB USB drive, or a powered otg hub and a Sandisk. Keep your main things like Stremio and TiViMate on the Max and as kodi is very resource intense you may want to use one of Troy’s forks and just 1 or 2 addons. As you can see it doesn’t take long before the sticks storage is used up. I have a 16GB sandisk and a powered otg hub and keep 2 5GB+ of free space on the max. I have about 32 apps on the Sandisk. Of course keep your VPN on rhe Max as well.

2 Likes

Thanks for your help! Is there a difference in OTG cables? Is there something I should look for? I have Kodi 19.4 on this firestick. I’m not sure what the Troy forks are for or how to use? I don’t know what OTG hub is? Do I need hub and cables? Also is 16GB sandisk enough or 32 GB?

It’s really all up to you. A fork is a stripped down Kodi that you add addons to like Mad Titan sports. It eliminates all the fluff as the Firesticks are low on memory and RAM. So it’s a good option. Now an OTG (On The Go) cable will only have one USB port, which is all you really need, but an OTG powered hub like the Smays brand from Amazon, will have multiple usb ports as well as an ethernet port. So you can add a USB drive, a dongle for a mini keyboard which is nice on the max when you do a lot of testing and typing, and still have an extra port for something else, as well as the option to add an ethernet cable for hardwired signal stability. :wink:

1 Like

So I would uninstall Kodi and install the fork? I am streaming wirelessly so no ethernet in the room (I wish it was on ethernet). I usually have my pc in my lap and if I text my phone is right here. So in my case one usb port should suffice from what I am understanding. I do have two firesticks on this tv…the other one isn’t a 4k max. If I got a hub could both sticks use the usb or could I put two usb (s) and each stick would use it independently using the same hub? Or would you not do that?

1 Like

Each Stick will need it’s own peripherals as apps placed on a USB Fat32 Drive can only be read by the stick that uses that usb drive. Don’t forget older 4K sticks are notoriously finiky when adding external storage. So personally I’d spend an extra $40 and get another max and set one up for external storage to record to and the other set up for internal and just apps. That way you could have one max with a rockin kodi setup and the other with apps.

1 Like

OMG! I don’t know much about any of this but can try! Where can I find information on how to set that up? Also wouldn’t I still have a storage problem? Thank you for advising and helping this 78 year young great grand mother learn some new tricks! LOL!

No you won’t have a storage problem as each Max will have it’s own. So one internal and one external. They are easy to do on the Max.

1 Like

Hi JOC. Check out this article by Troy. It tells you everything you need to know with detailed installation instructions. I did the same thing and it’s very easy once the lightbulb goes off! I highly suggest you take it slow, read the article and watch the video once, twice or even three time. You soon discover how easy this is.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.