My Firesticks are acting up..losing Homepage, losing heading, losing apps, Freevee is on/off, etc etc

Can also be your VPN acting up. Make sure you do not have it set to disconnect completely if you loose VPN.

And also make sure you have at least 1.5 gigs space left internal.

Very frustrating indeed. So far one firestick has been working for the last 2 days but when I’ve done a restart it will work for a while then act up again. I did switch from IPVanish to Surfshark yesterday, but I don’t know if IPVanish was the problem, but it did have a recent update. I thought I may have gotten a virus from a bad website but I installed a new Firestick on someone else’s TV and it started doing the same darn screw ups. I hadn’t gone to any bad websites, but I did install IPVanish sooo??? I’ve reset back to factory twice and ran tons of updates so I’m not sure about a bad Amazon update. I guess time will tell. Enjoy your Holidays.

Thank you for replying. Actually, you may be right about the VPN. So far today, it seems to be working but I did switch from IPVanish to Surshark yesterday. IPVanish did have a recent update but I have no idea if that was the problem. I usually force stop and clear the cache in settings before I shut down.so I don’t think space is a problem. I am new to Surfshark so I don’t know if there are any settings I need to adjust prior to using it because I didn’t do anything but hit quick connect. I have Pluto playing right now and it just went back to Homepage without me touching the remote, however, I fell asleep with it running on Pluto for a long time…would that cause it to do that? Enjoy your Holidays!

Join the club. There are all sorts of FireTV OS users getting issues. Most are similar and have a common thread. Apps suddenly doing things they’d never done before. Internet connection issues. VPN suspected in a lot of cases, although that is pure speculation. Random connections interrupted. Well as you can see it seems to be focused on 3rd party apps although that may be only in my case. Some Max users can connect to a specific site, others can’t. The list is growing. I think it’s going to take a few days before we know, or better yet, it’s just another epic update failure and when it’s fixed, we can all go back to our happy life of cutting the cord. I almost forgot, some can access streams and others can’t. I guess we could add that one to the list of internet anomalies.
Have fun and STREAM ON!

Stream on…lol. I admit I’m using my Firestick more these days because it’s cold and I’ve got more time on my hands so more time for errors. This is day 3 and so far so good with the Firestick that I did a reset on and switched to Surfshark. Another item I eliminated was Film+ but I have no idea if that was causing a problem. Do you know of any trustworthy movie sites I could use?

I had Film+ as well and it was acting up so I also deleted it. I use Stremio for all my series and vids.

1 Like

Thank you. I’ll have to try that one. I got to thinking about app updates…could it be possible that they could slip a virus into an update and cause the havoc? I tried downloading Film+ for a friend and it asked to install B Player and there was a virus in it, so I immediately uninstalled.

1 Like

That’s why I scan everything before and after installing apps. Unless you get an app from the “officil” site you re always taking a chance. Today I downloaded Malwarebytes from a site I’ve used many times before and trust. I ran a full scan and left it running while I went for a 5 mile walk as I do most mornings. When I came back I had a malware warning and had a file I had to delete. Guess where it was. Yup in the malwarebytes app files. So I made sure to delete it and delete the malwarebytes app. It’s a crap shoot. Even the Playstore has found malicious apps in their store.

I’m trying to find an antivirus program for a Firestick but they’re hard to come by…that’s why I bought Surfshark, but I’m not sure if I also needed to buy the additional antivirus program as well because I didn’t. I’ve got VirusTotal and Defsquid but those are after the install so hopefully I remember to scan before I use them. I’ve noticed that Streamio is a media center and not a video website. Are you able to get current new videos to watch with their addons?.

You dont need to buy a anti virus for the firestick there is free ones out there.

The only thing you need to worry about is moddifed apks.

Take a look here.

Take a look here for the best recommend aps with real debrid setup.

If you are not paying for paid apps above is your best soultion. I use 2 apps for all tv shows and movies.

3 Likes

You can add adons to get what ever you want. I also use Virus Total.

1 Like

Thank you for all the info. Looks like I’ll be reading for a while. I do read the Troypoint emails so I’m familiar with a lot of the reviews, but I’ve used some of the recommended apps and had some issues with them. I tried investigating Real Debrid but got so confused I haven’t gotten back to it yet. I’ve never used Tivimate, Syncler or Weyed so looks like more reading. It gets a little overwhelming at times. I just want to feel safe in an unsafe environment lol. Thanks again and Happy Holidays.

2 Likes

I’m having a lot of the same issues but I don’t have the technical know how nor the mental bandwidth to work as diligently as you have. I think I will watch some videos on YouTube for a week or so until I’m ready to do the work. I’m glad that I’m not alone. Happy holidays everyone!

1 Like

Search on troypoint.com for all of your streaming questions and welcome :v:

I was having the same issue, and it came down to IPVanish. I was using split tunnel and allowed Amazon, Netflix, and Disney+ through the VPN, but I’d didn’t check mark every single Android or Firestick sub-app or file.

Everything worked fine until about 2 weeks ago with no Home Screen and limited Alexa access. I checked the box in Vanish to allow the smaller Droid files to bypass the VPN and it is working again.

2 Likes

Thank you! Been having the same problems as everyone above, no home screen, had to restart everytime you log on, videos acting up, crazy ads apprearing out of nowhere in the beginning of a movie or if you change links…its not a virus. I DO have IPVanish. I’m checking the split tunneling box because i remember doing something with that when I installed it as per Troy’s instructions on how to set IPVanish up. Thanks again. I’m praying this fixes my problems!!!

I just set up 2 new sticks this morning and discovered something very odd. Once registered and configured I began to configure apps. I noticed that “Freevee” was gone?? That’s a new one. The app store said it couldn’t find the app. Then I got a freevee apk from apkpure and installed it. When I finally got it to load a message said that content is not yet available in my area. ??? These sticks are registered to a .ca account and so aren’t allowed to use freevee apparently. Yes they are .com purchased sticks. But wait a minute, I have a vpn and a server in Dallas. What Amazon is now doing is blocking any apps that access content they deem is not available in your “home” area, regardless of where you have the stick connected to or where in the world you presently are. A big part of the Firestick was their portability. Not any longer apparently.
Another nail in the FireTV coffin.

Before you jump to conclusions, try testing other apps.

But seriously, the stick is protable plug n play if using mainstream apps. I wouldnt suggest this is happening yet without further investigation. Have you tried other location-based apps?