MPA Makes Major Push for Site Blocking in the United States

Originally published at: MPA Makes Major Push for Site Blocking in the United States

The MPA (Motion Picture Association) is working with members of Congress to create a bill that would force Internet Service Providers to block access to websites that provide illegal streaming content. This new legislation is a second attempt to bring site blocking to the United States after the first attempts in 2011, titled the “Stop…

5 Likes

“This new legislation is a second attempt to bring site blocking to the United States after the first attempts in 2011”

So I guess the 3rd attempt will be in 2037? :rofl:

3 Likes

Just a matter of time until they finally get their way.Gotta remember these billionaire movie companies can help make or break a political campaign.

3 Likes

Yeah, but so can Google!

1 Like

With all the problems facing our country (border security, teenage crime, drug usage, inflation out of control, etc.) and the world (Russia/Ukraine, China/ Tiawan, Israel/ Palestine, the attacks on merchant ships, international hacking, etc.), this is what our Congress is concerned about? Really? The entire world is in a sad state of affairs and possible copyright infringement streaming is on the agenda? It just shows me that the billionaires are worried about money and not the general public. Who, incidentally, make up most of their money making spending.

14 Likes

Yea I’d go so far as to lump them in the same category as the MPA,NAB,and big pharma.

3 Likes

I thought the current administration wanted to return Net Neutrality?

They do.
The problem is the other party.

The Democratic members of the FCC are trying to reinstitute neutrality.

2 Likes

Net neutrality would not support MPA request. Who supports MPA site blocking?

As of now, the suppliers of content…and members of both parties have their hands out for their money.

1 Like

Net neutrality is in nearly 100% of this board’s personal interests.

Another excuse to get in our business. Next thing you know they be asking to see what I’m looking for over the internet. For them is a “loss” when they don’t reach their planned FY earning because they planned to earn certain amount and it can’t be reached because people can’t afford to go to the movies. Instead of lowering prices so people can afford they increase prices but expect everyone to go…, now that’s greed at its finest…

2 Likes

I would like to see how the due process would play. When the company they want to restrict is based in China. Is that company going to be required to come the United States and face Court, or the jurisdiction lands on China.?
They have to have a court order before they can take any action.

Soooo true !!! Need to pay these actors n actress less money.

Totally Fubar

It’s all about the Benjamin’s. $$$$$. Also Hollywood greed.