Military action movies

What’s your opinion of the movie Top Gun Maverick since Tom Cruise himself is made over a hundred million dollars movie. And then compare it to a movie and action movie Hunter killers with Gerald Butler only made 30 million worldwide.

As long as ONE individual out of the hundreds of professionals it takes to make a movie can make obscene millions for ONE movie, we are going to have an ever expanding membership here. I am reminded of the old expression, “you can shear a sheep many times, but you can skin it only once!”

1 Like

i liked maverick a lot

3 Likes

I liked Maverick a lot as well. I also liked Hunter Killer.

2 Likes

I did not think Maverick was all that. It was just a remake of Top Gun with different actors. I found the movie boring and almost turned it off. The acting was weak, the story was weak. At least the F18 footage was decent. The F14 Tomcat at the end sitting there all fueled up and ready to go was too much. I had to roll my eyes and laugh at how ridiculous and unbelievable the rest of the movie was. Sorry not in my top movies to recommend or rewatch.

3 Likes

I found this part two movie an excellent movie. Story line, acting, special effects, all were top notch. Couldn’t take my eyes off it. Yes a long movie but not even a minute of lame acting. Action galore. For a change this was a good follow up.

3 Likes

Hunter Killer was about a third as good as Top Gun. So I guess they are about even!

2 Likes

I watched Maverick for the second time yesterday and enjoyed it more than the first time for some reason. Watched Oblivion on the plane a couple of weeks ago – superb. Tom Cruz is a weirdo, but I can’t think of a movie of his that I don’t like. Check out the movie Magnolia and you might get a truer picture of Cruz’s personality lol.

1 Like

I think the movie Hunter Killers was actually better the red october. There’s a movie called The Final Countdown with Kirk Douglas that’s when the Nimitz aircraft carrier goes back in time to 1941 and fights japanese. Since the movie is made in the 1980s you’ll see at F14 Tom Cats instead of the hornets. Very much live Navy operations. I will put it as far as reality better than top gun.

2 Likes

I like that actor on HK, but Connery tips the scales for me to RO. And I think the “secret” propulsion system on the Soviet boat was actually based on a novel design of the new-at-the-time boomer submarine they put out. Also like Final Countdown.

1 Like