Malware discovered:T95 Android TV box with an AllWinner T616 processor

The device in question is the T95 Android TV box with an AllWinner T616 processor

From bleepingcomputer.com
A Canadian systems security consultant discovered that an Android TV box purchased from Amazon was pre-loaded with persistent, sophisticated malware baked into its firmware.

The malware was discovered by Daniel Milisic, who created a script and instructions to help users nullify the payload and stop its communication with the C2 (command and control) server.

The device in question is the T95 Android TV box with an AllWinner T616 processor, widely available through Amazon, AliExpress, and other big e-commerce platforms.

It is unclear if this single device was affected or if all devices from this model or brand include the malicious component.

This story popped up on my phone today.

If you read through the article, there’s a work-around; however, the script requires 60+ lines to type in…

1 Like

A big issue with china boxes and always stick with well known vendors and even then there is a possibility. Stay safe.

Modified the title so people notice the issue.

Thanks for the response. Stay safe :fire_engine::fire_engine::canada::canada:

Seems like in every piece of electronics you will find a little of the CCP imbedded.

I’ve had 2 T95Z Boxes for over 5 years. No issues with anything. Working flawlessly! N ever shut them off no fan issues nothing. And last I checked I don’t believe I’ve gotten hacked from my Android Box. LOL!

They might not have been hacked…however, if they are chances are that you wouldn’t evenbe aware of it.

Usually malware of this type is dependant on you using personal info on the box such as credit card, banking etc. Its always a good idea to keep that info on a pc or phone and keep the box free of that just in case.

1 Like

Agree, and to be honest, phones may not be a great idea either. There’s a lot of the ‘China-flu’ possible on those too.

True, but most phones with carriers are better monitored. China firms dont want to risk losing a contract…but still you are correct and simply put, theres nothing safe on line…its on you.

1 Like

Yes I must have been hacked. So many nervous nellies on this forum. LOL

Or not.
The problem is that you don’t know.

Well, NASA, Canadian government, US government, other countries, big box elite stores, google, amazon, voice stuff, tiktok, all these smart tvs and phones have been spying on your for years. Your government allows it. So, be smart and don’t put any private info on any android box.

3 Likes

Thanks for the info guys…

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.