Launcher Manager Problems on onn. Google TV Android Box

I was extremely excited to read about the new Onn Box. Especially after watching Troy’s first impressions and how to super charge videos, I ordered my own the day he announced it was available for shipping. Yesterday, a dark, damp rainy Saturday, I spent a good 7-8 hours swapping out my Firestick 4K Max with the Onn. Most everything Troy described in his review and tutorial proved accurate. The box was very responsive, the Google TV OS was much better than Firestick’s bloated and ad dominated OS. But, I ran into my first critical fail when installing and trying to use Wolf Launcher with Launch Manager. That launcher (which works flawlessly on my 4K Max) bombed on the Onn Box. It produced a non-working screen which rendered the Onn Box inoperable. I followed Troy’s installation video exactly, but after hours of painstaking downloads, installation and configurations, I had to perform a factory reset. However, I could not even get to system settings, and pressing the reset button while powering on the device did not work. It brought up the screen to factory reset, but there was no way I could select the correct option to reset (there were three options requiring you to scroll down to select reset, but no way to do that). After much sweating and swearing I tried Google voice command “Open Settings”, and almost cried with relief when lo and behold, the settings menu appeared and I did a factory reset. THEN, I went through the entire process again, without installing Wolf Launcher. So, I installed the basics, attached and formatted a USB drive as internal storage, Nord VPN, and lastly Kodi and various add-ons. Finally, I did a test drive and streamed a movie. It would not play. It was 4K, around 10 gig file size, and while it did start (and looked beautiful), when I paused it and started it again, it buffered, jittered, froze and finally crashed. I immediately thought it might be a network issue, ran the speed test (BTW, the Analiti Speed Test app no longer appears on the Troypoint Toolbox so I used a Kodi speed test add-on), and was shocked to find my download speed was HALF of what I got on the Firestick. This was using the same VPN settings and network settings, but the results were abysmal. I was so angry and discouraged at this point that I swapped back my Firestick, tested my download speed (it was back up to around 70 Mbps with the VPN engaged), streamed the same movie and it worked flawlessly. So, why the failure? My guess is that it has to do with the reduced RAM and the weaker processing chip used by the Onn. Perhaps its WiFi chip is also subpar. But those are only guesses. Whatever the reason(s), the Firestick is back and the Onn Box is headed back to Walmart. I was so upset because I had such high hopes that I could end my toxic relationship with Amazon’s Firestick which is becoming increasingly more locked down, but the Onn Box is not the victorious usurper I had hoped it would be. I wonder if Troy’s initial impressions of the Onn Box may change as he spends more time using it. For now, anyone want a “like-new” Onn Box?

Factory reset and don’t use wolf, try projective launcher

3 Likes

Hello, welcome to the TROYPOINT Insider. Please read the rules and regulations prior to posting another topic. Thank you.

Please use our search function regarding this further.

Also this topic/issue/problem/ or common thing as been discussed a lot and there is many topics on this, please use our search regarding this further. Making the same topics on info that’s already posted is against our rules. Old topics are available to post as they are not locked, our search would bring this up. Thank you for understanding.

Hi, thanks for the reply, but I did a factory reset and got it back up and running. The issue is not with operating the box, it’s with the Onn Box’s extremely poor performance when a Tually using it to stream video.

I will be more than happy to remove this topic, but I am unable to delete it. Please lete k ow how I can delete it. Thank you.

1 Like

I have the onn setup right now and all is working fine even on a wifi connection. No lag and overall zero issues with streaming. If you are using a vpn try server changes and/or protocol changes.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions, TXRon, but I did try all of those options without success. After nearly ten hours of frustration and disappointment, I called it quits on the Onn Box. No device should require that much stress and aggravation.

No, just use the websites functions for same or likewise topics.

1 Like

@MJBG666 I recently purchased the new ONN device, and I installed both Cinema 2.40 and Cyberflix 3.5.5. Both work well and appear to be just as fast as my FS4K. I’m not sure why Cinema is so slow on your device. Have you tried installing Cyberflix to see if it has the same problem?

1 Like

Maybe there is something wrong with your box. I’ve installed Wolf on 2 of these now and it is working as it should.

6 Likes

Apparently, wifi is much better to use than an ethernet. It seems that connecting ethernet via a USB hub greatly reduces your speed especially when using your VPN.

(4) Walmart onn. Google TV Android Box Connected to USB Ethernet Adapter - YouTube

Watch the TP
Finger Point
vid

1 Like

Just like the mecool km2, its ethernet is capped at 100 and the wifi is as fast as you can give it.

Hi Bob, thanks for your reply. I don’t currently use either of the movie streaming apps you mentioned, only Kodi and various Kodi addons. I’ve ditched the Onn and gone back to FS4KMax and everything is working and my stress levels have subsided. :grin:

I spent today loading up an onn 4k device. I’m satisfied with it but initially had similar performance issues. With and without surfshark running, I had speed reductions and it was worse with surfshark running. I reached out to surfshark support and got instructions which got performance back to what I was getting with my fire tv 4k. Overall, I’m very pleased with the onn device. Wolf launcher is working fine after a few minor issues were resolved. I’ll list a summary of the surfshark support instructions that got my onn device back on track.

…in this case, I would suggest changing the DNS on your device. To do that please follow the steps below:

Start your Android TV Box.
Go to “Settings”.
Select “Wi-Fi”.
Choose your Wi-Fi network.
Select “Advanced Options”.
Choose “IP settings”.
Choose “Static”.
You have to get an IP from the same IP range as a router. To do that just use your router’s IP and change the last group of digits. For example, if your router’s IP is 192.168.1.1 you should set your Android TV Box to something like 192.168.1.100. You can notice that the first three groups of digits remained the same and only the last one changed. Click on “Next”.
In the “Gateway” field enter the IP of your router and click “Next”.
In the “Enter Network Prefix Length” field enter 24 and click “Next”.
On the next screen enter:
DNS1: 162.252.172.57 and press next.
DNS2: 149.154.159.92 and press next.
That’s all!

3 Likes

It still makes me wonder what the others including myself are doing wrong. We think we are following your instructions, yet we all have a similar experience with Wolf Launch Manager not working properly. Hopefully we figure out our errors.

1 Like

Wolf Manager crushed my ONN, I ended up getting Projectivity launcher in the google play store, no problems using that. WM doesn’t “stay” for me on my firesticks, it always defaults back to the Amazon stock screen but Projectivity on the ONN has stayed as the default launcher. Maybe give that one a try.

3 Likes

Sorry about your experience with new ONN. All is working great with mine. Analyti speed tests show the ONN as faster than the 4k FS over wifi for me. Movies on Film+ are flawless. Tivimate works as usual. I remember in other posts people were having problems doing various things while using Nord VPN (I use SS). Trying to figure out why Wolf works as advertised for some but not others…

It’s a China made $20 buck box.

Not sure why you think I am having such a terrible experience. Like many others I have had a challenge running Wolf Launch Manager. My speed tests are fine, movies and films fine, tivimate and other streaming devices just fine, VPN good as well. Just a challenge with Wolf Launcher. But as a team we all can figure it out.