Large Scale DDoS Attack is Infecting Android TV Boxes

Originally published at: https://troypoint.com/large-scale-ddos-attack-is-infecting-android-tv-boxes/

Security researchers have recently uncovered a disturbing trend in the cybercrime landscape – a large-scale DDoS botnet that is infecting Android TV boxes and set-top boxes. This cybercrime syndicate, known as Bigpanzi, has been active since 2015 and poses a significant threat to the security of these devices. The botnet, with its peak at 170,000…

1 Like

Would this DDoS issue be the cause of boxes acting strangely? Such as dropping internet connections, turning off randomly, freezing the UI, etc…

How would the DDos get to the box since all anyone can see out there is our real external IP given by our ISP. Clearly, anyone could be attacked as corporations are all the time or websites to temporarily take it down because it’s no accessible.

In the pc world usually that would be a backdoor trojan. Generally picked up by installing un-verified apps, pre-installed by someone at factory or 3rd party sellers…To be honest a trojan can be installed by a picture containing hidden malware.

A trojan can absolutely be installed on your device but only by installing an app. A DDos is multitudes of computers hitting you as the same time rendering your connection useless until they stop. I am unsure why a group would or could focus on many single systems, bothering to find our IP and using many resources. It seriously makes no sense I would be interested in reading more about this group if it’s published here.

What Is a Trojan Horse? Trojan Virus and Malware Explained | Fortinet

1 Like

Yes exactly that. Malware bytes was always good at detecting them if you tried to dl something containing them on a PC. ** I’ve now read the article above and it seems to be a backdoor trojan.

Disappointed!!! I was expecting this article to say they were only targeting the “Cheap China Boxes” :rofl:

Does this include the google boxes such as the Walmart Onn boxes?

A post was merged into an existing topic: VPN on a Router

Installed Virus Total and says it can’t scan because “Error, internet is not available.” Kinda stupid when i just downloaded the app. Im hardired. Tried Wifi on. Rebooted. Vpn on/off…still same. I guess ill continue to have sex without a condom with this iptv network transmitted disease.

1 Like

I have had the same experience with Virus Total. All this talk, but no way to fix it! Does anybody have a fix???