Just my Setup - "an ONN-Venture"

Here is what I did to setup my Onn-4k. Pretty straight forward, no weird add-ons or “Builds” etc…
After the initial setup and basic configuration (wireless) straight out of box following Troy’s Supercharge Guide, utilizing included parts except for the hdmi cable which I already had in place. I went in Developer Options and in the “Select USB Configuration” I selected RNDIS (?) USB Ethernet (full disclosure: I don’t think its necessary to select this, as It was not selected when I went back in there after a reboot)
I then shut down and swapped out the power supply to one from a FS4kMax as per recommendation of fellow Troypointian “Miki”. Mine was 1/2 amp stronger so maybe it’ll be enough. Before powering back up, I inserted an OTG cable and a Technet USB 3.0 Hub with Ethernet adapter. I inserted the Cat 6 cable but nothing else. (I do not need expanded storage at this time, but may test that down the road, hence USB debugging was not toggled on, nor utilized.) For me, simplicity is the key!
Upon reboot, the Onn picked up an IP and worked great. Snappy and Responsive. Like I was in my youth. I then added the following:

Downloader, then IPVanish (When it expires, I move on) Then went to Troypoint Toolbox and got Kodi, Fast Task Killer and the Monitor Dot. Added the Crew in Kodi, configured that, authorized my Premiumize account (real-debrid alternative) & all installed flawlessly.
After a reboot for old times sake, I went back in Downloader and snagged TIVIMate and configured that with my (now a “tertiary” backup) IPTV Sub. Again, flawless and works superb.
THEN, I added my secondary IPTV service as it stands alone and doesn’t integrate into TIVIMate. It went on smooth as silk and works great. Not to be outdone, I saved my favorite and now primary IPTV Service for last. Although it does integrate into TIVIMate via XTreme Code, I decided to utilize the Xciptv app and fired up Downloader again to get it installed. Yes I have three services and suffer from FOMO but I blame you guys for contributing to my techy-malady! The Xciptv app for this service allows me to stare down Darth Vader when I launch it. Plus the wife thinks the Owl is “Cute” and that’s a bonus. (due to guidelines I cant mention the service in this category, but those who have it know what I mean!)
I did add the Projectivy Launcher. Its real nice, but I cant get it to load to it on boot. I’m not used to 3rd party launchers, but did try Wolf once on a firestick 4K Max. It went horribly awry and I have not tried one since until now.
I appreciate the ability to configure Projectivy and all, I even paid the 8 bucks or whatever it was to help the developer, but I’m just not understanding yet how to make it “just be there” on boot. Isn’t that the point? on mine I have to turn it on after I boot. So “Launching the Launcher” is kinda weird, but otherwise the little ONN-4K is rockin’ steady so far. Only that slight limp to get going, like me nowadays!!
This is a “redacted” version due to leaving out names of services to follow guidelines. I am not a reseller of anything, just a hobbyist that cant leave well enough alone (ie: I got the bug) I wanted you all to at least have this “semi-in-depth” version. Read it right before bedtime and save a Sominex!

1 Like

Way to go. Yup going from a .5A to the Max 1A power brick may not seem like much, but it means there is plenty of power to run an ethernet adapter and the Onn not to mention the hub. Glad it worked.

2 Likes

Miki, you are always a wealth of knowledge. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

2 settings needed.

#1… Go into android settings>>> Device Preferences>>> Accessibility>>> Projectivy…and turn it on.

#2… Click the gear on projectivy home screen top right>>>go to Projectivy Launcher settings>>> General>>> click on overide current launcher.

All done :+1:

3 Likes

That’s the thing that gave me a little scare with this launcher. You can definitely use it without it enabled, but having the Accessibility setting enabled opens up a bit of a security risk. Just an fyi thought and a precaution. This is the only launcher that I’ve used so far that asks for Accessibility permissions.

Ive never had an issue. SDmaid also requires accessibility to function properly and ive been using that for years.

1 Like

To the best of my knowledge the security issue was squashed after or with android 10 and scoped storage was introduced.

Just a google search on the risk of accessibility permissions in Android makes my hair bristle. Not everyone runs the same version of Android of course, but as far as I know there is still a current risk issue. Even the types of data the launcher itself admits it could collect is shown on the Google Play Store. It just boils down to how much you trust the developer of the app. Or if the app is open source I guess.

Not saying anything is dubious about Projectivy, just the Accessibility permission itself “can” be a risk depending on the app you’re using.

1 Like

Was reading that Android 13 has a new security feature that “blocks accessibility services for sideloaded apps”, making it harder for malware to steal data. So I think Android 12 and under must still have vulnerability issues. (with that)

1 Like

projectivy is not or doesnt need to be sideloaded as its in the playstore. As far as a rouge app stealing data, it happens a lot however since android 10 with scoped storage all apps, services etc are “sandboxed” so to speak for security measures. I would hope one would not keep personal info…banking etc on a streaming device which to be honest is rouge in its own right :skull_and_crossbones:

2 Likes

Thanks so much, That worked great. I guess it helps if you TURN THE THING ON! As you can tell…my exuberance overrides my skillset while I’m still learning!

2 Likes

Congrats :+1:… now start diggin’ down into projectivy settings… its amazing what you can add to your homescreen :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

True, but with more and more people doing their shopping and even banking on their phones… ya just never know what else they might be doing, say, via a browser on their box. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Wondering why you guys use these launchers? Is it just a fun part of the hobby? The ONN has one of the “busiest” native launchers I’ve seen, but to (double) check SS is on and then get to an app takes all of 5-10 seconds. I guess I don’t see the need for it.

1 Like

nothing wrong with the built in launchers. Many like a more custom, ad free page with only what they want to see. I setup lotsa boxes and they want or just like the stock launcher. I do the same on my phone…all custom setup.

3 Likes

A custom launcher to me is the single most satisfying part of the hobby. I dont care if I’m on there 1 second or 10 minutes, it means everything to me.

1 Like

And plllllease dont ask @PapaS about launchers :rofl: :ghost: :alien: :robot:

Help… I setup my ONN, downloaded the apps, marked some favorite programs but when I open them, the links to the episodes won’t open…

Any ideas?

Hi Sue,
We need more info to help you. What apps did you download? Is your internet hooked up? Wired or wireless? we cant “Solve for C” with only “A=?, B=? what is C?” Anyway, get back with some more info please. Thanks!!