Is there an alternative to Windows 10 OS with which Surfshark will work?

Totally agree. Some of the more unique threads like this is why I love the insider community. Great hearing experiences of the terrific folks we have in here as we continue to expand our tech knowledge in all facets.

3 Likes

I wasnā€™t aware of that siteā€¦ thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Sorry, been gone all dayā€¦ You can use clamAV for antivirus on linux. Most Linux distros come with a firewall pre-installed. Personally Ive never used av on a linux distro.

Understood. I have a mini pc with windows so I can play on-line golf(Yes action packed :joy: )

So Iā€™m typing this on my older laptop that I just loaded LinuxMint on. I havenā€™t used it much yet, so I canā€™t give my full opinion, but I must say it seems very simple and user friendly.

To also answer the OPā€™s initial question, the Surfshark Firefox Browser Extension seems to work great. So, if you just want a VPN on your browser, that is a good option.

You can also install on the system>>> https://support.surfshark.com/hc/en-us/articles/5067279648146-How-to-set-up-Surfshark-on-Linux

1 Like

Just google Windows 11 on non-compliant computer. Itā€™s not that difficult to bypass the TPM2.0 block.

Not a bad idea as well. For those that want to move away from Microsoft though, the other options might be worthy of a try.

My biggest problem is if I get in a wreck, then Iā€™ll have to pay the geek squad 199 and fix my computer or get another one. But Iā€™ll have to make one good backup.
I came across an article that has some good information;

I will say, when I tried Linux a long time ago, it was not like it is now. I was always under the assumption that I didnā€™t like it, but never really gave it a second chance. Ronā€™s recommendation about Mint has me reinvigorated. Whether I stay with it permanently, or for all my PCs, is yet to be determined, but once you realize how much else is out there other than just Windows, it opens up so many options aside from just the mainstream monopoly. Do yourself a favor and at least do the research and make sure you are aware of what you are missing, and then make a proper, informed decision for yourself about your PC situation heading into the 2025 Windows 10 cutoff.

2 Likes

Being new to linux can seem at first overwhelmingā€¦Take it slow and get your browser setup the way you like. Once comfortable take a look at the software center and browse around, install a few things. After you feel comfortable the shock of breaking up with windows subsides :joy:

With any Operating System you have to look at the support you get with it, not just at this moment in time but both historically and the likelihood of future support.

I have dual boot on my computer and laptop. Linux Mint and Win10.

My machine can upgrade to Windows 11 easily, but whether I want to or not is something I will decide at some point.
The problem with Microsoft is that they always break something and leave older programs in a state of, ā€œwe will fix it laterā€.

If you are going to use a different O.S. and it may sound obvious, but make sure that any programs you get are for that particular O.S. or flavour of O.S.
Linux comes in many flavours and not all programs will run on all flavours.

1 Like

I just checked out Zorin.
Great tip!
Sys reqs are nice for any dual core cpu.
Gonna give a old laptop a shot with this.
Thank you.

1 Like

Tiny 11
Win 11
Win to USB (as a try out on a fast usb 3.x stick)
https://www.hasleo.com/
Takes 30 mins to put onto a stick. Boots just like a real OOTB experience.
I am running a 2014 chromebook celeron 1.4
No problems.
SurfShark does not cause slow downs with that setup so you will cruise easily if you do a install to the SSD.
Just be careful about letting the system update itself. It will bloat fast. Just do security updates. Defender for Win 11 is way better than Win 10
Any issuesā€¦try this
https://massgrave.dev/

Been there. Done that.
Some debian versions just dont wanna work.
It might be a tuff go for this guyā€¦first time out.
Mint is also my go to for a older PC. I totally agree w/you TXRon.
SurfShark is a fairly easy install on Mint.

The problem with Linux isnā€™t really Linux.
Itā€™s just that the most of the world seems to be dominated by Microsoft related software so compatibility can be an issue if you need your computer for business or employment.

I think that is exactly the main issue with it. But from what I have seen, there are tons of work arounds and ways to install normally non-conforming programs into Linux. And Iā€™m sure they are coming up with new ones every day.

There are, but in my experience work arounds are not always seamless.
That said, since I retired, I havenā€™t really had a real need to be compatible with the rest of the world, so Linux Mint is great for me, so far.

Hi! Welcome to TroyPoint.

Surfshark also works on Chrome OS.

1 Like

Another vote for Zorin Linux, very easy to use, similar to windows

2 Likes