Is NVIDIA Shield still the best?

Gaming is the bread and butter of Shield Pros, but I doubt seriously if they will drop the streaming aspects.

What I do see in the very near future is all the major TV manufacturers will have their own dedicated media app and will replace, or at least compete with streaming devices. A lot of these TV manufacturers have already added their own apps. Samsung, Apple, Sony, etc… already have their media apps and are improving them often.

Once the TV manufacturers make their sets more powerful to compete with the standalone devices. Then I suspect the vast majority of customers will get onboard with them.

…jus sayin
TV EYE - Made with Clipchamp (2)

3 Likes

Careful with the KM2+… I have one that has the worst wifi capabilities ever, plus little access to updated firmware. I blew mine out and ended up having to get tech support to send me patched APK’s to fix issues and I eventually got the most up-to-date firmware update C2.4.5. It still has crappy wi-fi which causes my VPN to constantly disconnect when streaming, requiring me to stop to re-activate it and start my show over again.

Ended up going back to my original FS 4K and have had no issues with connectivity or VPN since. Very disappointed in Mecool devices.

2 Likes

What you read likely implied that Nvidia is shoring up most of their resources in development and fabrication of their Ai platform (e.g. H800 chips). It’s probably followed closely by their gaming segment GPUs.

Beyond that, everything else is non-prioritized, such as the likelihood of developing a new update for the Shield line of media streamers.

The current crop of smart tvs with media streaming apps baked in are pretty underperforming, given the weak hardware. They all perform like the lineup of fire televisions…laggy and full of bloatware.

TV brands do want to raise their price point up by putting in good performing SoC and ram for their apps.

…at least, not yet.

2 Likes

Troy gave the Mecool km2+ a great review. You can find it on tp website. I bought one for my son. I would have set him up with an onn but he needed more storage space. Troy’s review was good enough for me and it has worked well for over a year now. it being sold through walmart was a real plus for me because of the easy and reliable return option, if needed. (it wasn’t needed).

1 Like

You won’t regret buying it,best on the market

4 Likes

I have 4. They perform flawlessly. Nothing is better i have found.

2 Likes

I’ve tried just about every top shelf android box. The picture quality, I assume the result of the upscaling, on the Nvidia shield was by far the best. If I recall i also didn’t have problems with Netflix. I decided on the BuzzTV U5. Storage capability is unlimited, BuzzTV 5 is nice addition for my iptv service. Only complaint is can’t find a Netflix version to works so I access it through my :fire: stick.

I tried the Nvidia Pro and BuzzTV X5. Returned both of them within a week because of issues. Got a FORMULER - Z11 Pro Max and it has worked perfectly from day one. Bonus is built-in IPTV recording (haven’t used it yet though). Would absolutely buy again

1 Like

I tested the Buzz U5 and it certainly isn’t a device I like or recommend. Way to many missing options. For such an expensive device it needs major programming upgrades before I’d consider it any better than say a 4K Max.

1 Like

I have 2 Nvidia Shields and 2 FireTV Cubes, couldn’t be more satisfied with my streaming.

3 Likes

Miki If you are interested in selling your BuzzTv U5 box just let me know.
I have one already and LOVE it.

Steve

1 Like

Not sure what the shipping would be. I can hook it back up and factory reset and take out the 256GB Samsung SSD. No charge, just the shipping. Oh and don’t post your email in public. PM me is good. Sorry that sounded rude. It isn’t a good idea to post your e:mail in a public forum.

1 Like

Just streaming, go with the Nvidia Shield cheaper than the Pro. I just switched to Nvidia shield and really like it.

1 Like

Miki I sent you an e-mail.
I don’t see any way to PM you, I am new to this site.

2 Likes

For PM you just click on my icon and a window opens for you to click on message.

1 Like

Have a mag 544w3 made in Ukcrane works very well and do not get worm
Less than 100.00

Try the Walmart Onn Box. It’s cheap, and gets the job done. But Nvidia is the best!

4 Likes

Choose Wisely!

8 Likes

Same problem with mine.
I thought VPN was the problem but now I know it’s the Wi-Fi connection :rage:

1 Like