Ipvanish slows down speed

I’ve had ipvanish for over 3years… using a flash router and the app. It does slow the speed down more than express vpn which I just switched to. But like Troy has pointed out you only need so much speed. I’m still having the same buffering problems with my IPTV service and the other apps.
Complaining about Troy recommending ipvanish is misplaced and unfair. The cost is more than reasonable.
Thanks for your help Troy!

2 Likes

Thanks for your comment @jjscalise there are positives and negatives about every VPN service out there.

1 Like

Troy, when you say you get 60 mbps on your 4K. what do you pay for. I pay for 100 mbps and get at least that and more when not hooked to a VPN. Exception being my windows10 pc. When I hook my 4k firestick to VPN I usually get at most 25. Nord does better than IPVanish but not what I think it should be. So I am wondering if I switched to Spectums 400 mbps if I would greatly increase my speeds on the fire stick?

Hello @dsugdenelp I pay for 200 Mbps. Have you tried changing the protocols like I show in this video here? That makes a huge difference for me - VPN Protocols Explained & Tested - Which VPN Protocol is the Fastest?

Troy, I do not loose any speed when my Windows 10 PC connects to a VPN. But the firestick does. Do you know why that is?

Yes I worked with IPVanish techs. With no help on improving speed.

2 Likes

@dsugdenelp this is due to processing power. When you run a VPN, it requires processing power. Unfortunately, that also decreases the speed of your VPN connection. So, the more powerful your device (CPU) the faster the VPN should be. Example, NVIDIA Shield has one of the best if not the best processor out there in terms of streaming devices. I get over 100 Mbps when using that with VPN connected. My Fire TV Stick 4K is usually 60 to 70. My Windows PC with i7 Intel processor is max of what my Internet speed is. They are now coming out with new VPN protocols that should eventually help with this such as WireGuard. WireGuard will be coming to IPVanish soon but I wouldn’t expect a huge increase on low processor devices even with that.

You hit the nail on the head. No matter how fast your vpn is, tv streaming will only operate as fast as the weakest link in your device hardware, operating system, streaming software, internet WiFi signal and internet service. Thanks for bringing this to the attention of your subscribers.

Thank You Troy. One more question. My 4K Fire Stick keeps re-setting. Was getting hot. It’s is hooked to TV with a 3ft HDMI cable. Was getting hot. Fixed that my moving and using a fan. Today it turned off and reset shortly after turning on TV. It was not Hot?

I was an IPVanish user for a few years. A few months ago I upgraded to Verizon Fios with a gig of speed. I would run analiti speed test without IPVanish running and my speeds were 1gig. I would run analiti with IPVanish running and my download speeds dropped significantly to 30 mbps or high 20s.
Last month I canceled my subscription and went with Nord but the speeds weren’t that good. Then I went to Expressvpn and my speeds are fantastic staying very high. I am extremely happy with Expressvpn give then a shot

1 Like

Hello @dsugdenelp Also try uninstalling any applications that you are no longer using. Hopefully it didn’t get so hot as to cause permanent damage.

I’d suggest moving on from the fire stick to an android box with more RAM, internal memory storage and better heat sinks and air vents for cooling. You won’t get the freeze ups or overheating and the increased processing power and storage will pay dividends with better streaming performance and space for your apps.

Thank You , I appreciate your input.

Thanks for the info.

Hi Troy, love your site, but looking at other people’s enquiries about IpVanish, do you get a commission from them if they join up with IpVanish from your site. I’m sure your subscribers and fans would appreciate an honest answer. Thanks. Jimmy

Hello @jimmy.royle take a look at the first paragraph on every post on our site.

"This page includes affiliate links where TROYPOINT may receive a commission at no extra cost to you. Many times, you will receive a discount due to the special arrangements made for our visitors. I will never promote something that I personally don’t use or recommend. Purchasing through my links directly supports TROYPOINT which keeps the content and tools coming. Thank you!"

Plus our affiliate disclaimer here - Affiliate Disclaimer - TROYPOINT: Tech Tutorials On Firestick, Android TV Box, VPN, IPTV, Streaming, & More

Not sure we can be more transparent than that. I only promote products that I use myself and find of value.

There are hundreds if not thousands of VPNs available and if IPVanish doesn’t work well for you, I would suggest using a different one.

Troy pushes it because he gets paid to do it. But Ipvanish sucked before the latest update and it still sucks now. Slowed me down considerably. I went to expressvpn and never looked back

Hi Troy I was not trying to be flippant, I have been a supporter and a full member since Fire Unleashed days. So if I came across as arrogant, please accept my apologies, its probably due to the effect that when I’m reading any articles From Troypoint Insider or just your weekly newsletter I’m bombarded with ip vanish pop ups, so again please accept my apologies. Jimmy.

2 Likes

@blackden60 I can promise you that other VPN companies have reached out willing to pay more and Express is one of them. I haven’t gone with those because in my opinion they aren’t as good. Again, depending on your network, Internet connection, and location, another VPN may work better for you. I am getting 150 Mbps dl speed on my Fire TV Stick 4K which is 50 more than Express.

1 Like