IPVanish non-refundable Renewal

IPVanish automatically renewed my subscription on 8/31/23 for $91.00. I contacted them on 9/2/23 and told them I was no longer using their service and would like to cancel my subscription. I was informed that per their refund policy, they do not refund annual renewals. They offered me some deal for $31.45 for the year to continue. I informed them I had changed to a different VPN provider, but they simply said no refund for a renewal. So now I am out $91.00 for a service I dont use. Buyer beware!

Thats terrible, thinking cancellation request had to be made pior to the renewal date.

2 Likes

Ipvanish clearly defines their refund policy on their site. It’s one thing if a seller is elusive or doesn’t make it’s return/refund policy easily accessible.

It should be the responsibility of the buyer to review the return/refund policies prior to committing to a purchase. I did it for IPV, Surf shark, Proton…just to name a few. Try and see how fun getting clarity on mattress policies when purchasing. :yum:

Anyway - sorry that you feel cheated or slighted…but the policy is clear and stated. For new subs and trial purchases, the refund window is pretty generous.

1 Like

It is absolutely critical as the buyer/cord cutter, to have a method to track and be alerted before these subscriptions come due. Some auto-renew, so you have to catch it in time and contact them to stop auto-renew altogether. It is super frustrating, and I feel for you for sure, but is a reminder how important that sub tracking method is. VPN subs, IPTV subs, Real Debrid, Orion, app subs, Trakt, Prime, etc etc etc…these get overwhelming quickly.

2 Likes

I always set individual calendar reminders on my phone for many of my services, usually 1-2 weeks prior to renew date.

In the case of Ipvanish, they used to offer lifetime renew rates, equal to the original discounted promo rate if auto renew is enabled.

2 Likes

That’s how they ripped me off .

Their policies are clear but true, they should send out a clear reminder before the renewal date. If you paid by CC, get in touch with your holder and they would almost certainly fix it. At least they lowered it for you.

My credit card company always reverse charges on issues like this.

1 Like

Again, my point here was not so much as to complain as to let others know about their policy. My wife alerted me to the charge on the CC. That’s when I tried to cancel. Yes, my bad for not having a calendar reminder. I do for other stuff. I didn’t even realize this was an auto renewal. We moved to Surfshark earlier this year.

Kevin

I agree, dispute the charge with your CC company. Also, if they automatically renew delete your CC off the account. I used to have the same problem with Sirius XM. I informed them that I never authorized automatic renewals and now they don’t that anymore.

Your CC can’t do anything as the policy is clearly stated. What I did for Proton was contact their CS and demand that auto renewal be removed, which is your right under the law btw, and then had them add a note to contact me 7 days before renewal to see if I wanted to renew. I’ve done this with ExpressVPN, NordVPN and IPVanish.
Have fun and STREAM ON!!!

1 Like

For Ipvanish - you can cancel the auto renew by logging in, going into your settings, go to subscriptions, then selecting ‘I want to cancel’ and it will end when your current billing term expires.

3 Likes

They did the same thing with me, and I had clearly canceled before they charged me for the renewal and even had an email from one of their reps confirming it. I ended up getting talked into the $31.00 deal and they refunded me the rest. I’m using it now and it’s been okay, but their customer service is terrible if I have an issue (it frequently just logs itself off and I have to restart it again).

First thing I do when buying any VPN is turn off “Auto Renewal” this way you can shop elsewhere or negotiate a better deal when it runs out.

2 Likes

On some suppliers it was not obvious how to turn auto pay off and in fact it wasn’t displayed. So if you can’t find that option then contact their customer service and insist that it be disabled, it’s your right.

1 Like

Have to agree mate or sometimes it’s buried within multiple settings.

1 Like

@65GTO This is ridiculous and I will update our subscribers about this. There’s never been a case where I request a refund for an auto-renewal service that I no longer need and I didn’t get it. Sad to hear this.

Thank you for letting us know.

4 Likes

If they won’t refund, then take the $31.45 deal and then TURN OFF AUTO RENEW!
Then you are only out $31.45

3 Likes

call the number on the back of your card dispute the clame.

1 Like

Ipvanish was highly recommended by Troypoint a while ago