IPVanish - Major Speed Reduction

For streaming you only need 30 to 35 MBs down for good streaming. Not sure what the tech guys are telling you but about the only speed gains you’ll get are by changing Protocols as well as server locations. Of course the closest servers to you should be the fastest. If on WiFi be sure to switch to the 5GHz bands if your modem is in line of sight and under 30 FT away.

2 Likes

I tried IPVanish over 4 years ago and had the exact same issue. Their overhead must be huge. I went to NordVPN and have had no issues. My IP is 100Mb down and 20Mb up. I always get ~96Mb down and ~18Mb up. Sorry, Troy, but your VPN is the pits.

1 Like

Yeah, all standard protocols, but in this case…won’t help.

Sorry Bubba. Honestly though, I cancelled my IPV months ago.

Meira517: Where are you located and what protocol have you used? Wireguard is usually, but not always, the best. You shouldn’t be seeing this kind of speed drop with IPV. There is some overhead with any VPN but it shouldn’t be more than 20%-25% tops. Sounds like something to do with your setup or your provider. Have you rebooted you computer, router and modem and got the same result?

1 Like

Its not that bad.

@Meira517

When encountering buffering please take a look here, lots of info.

Take a look threw there and also check your bandwidth allocation and how many devices connected

I am located in the Florida Panhandle. IPV tech support has tested all the protocols, including creating a IKEv2 manual connection. Servers tested in various locations, New Orleans, Atlanta and Miami. This included a clean install of IPV on macOS. Several computer reboots and modem resets during testing have taken place.

I’m waiting on a response from IPV on next steps.

FYI, sometimes the closest server is not the best server. I live closer to the Dallas and Houston servers but my fastest and most reliable is the NewYork server. At one time is was the Tampa server. Circumstances cause these fluctuations in connection speed/ping etc. I found the reason for the great connection in NewYork was my vpn provider actually owned the server and not rented… so reach out to other servers…you never know :eyes: :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

HIGHLY recommend surfshark…had cyberghost for 3yrs(no issues, but limit of 7 connections) and switched 2 mths ago. Faster speeds when connected, and unlimited connections.

1 Like

I agree that Surfshark is the way to go. I ditched IP Vanish over a year ago with no regrets.

1 Like

I just ditched IP Vanish for Surfshark . Best move I’ve ever made .

1 Like

Just wanted to give a little of my personal IPV experiences, take it as you will…

I am in Central Florida, and have Spectrum 200mbps internet. Its usually 195-205 with no VPN. With IPV connected to ATL, 135-145. Connected to MIA I’ve recently been getting closer to 165-175. I noticed faster speeds when IPV is set to OpenVpn protocol. I sometimes have to change locations multiple times to get the higher speeds, and a lot of times I have to manually select the MIA servers because it will only connect to ATL otherwise.

My girl has AT&T giga & gets giga speeds with no VPN, but she only gets 200-300 at best on VPN. Note, I have her using Nord instead of IPV. Have to assume this is because that is all the servers will allow…

I’m using SurfShark and getting 120 with VPN, without VPN I get 300. The discount was 82%. I paid $59 for 26 months using discount through Troy Point. There is a setting in SS to connect to the fastest speed and auto connect.

Before we start suggesting other vpns we should be troubleshooting, if there is an issue another vpn will not solve it period.

Make sure its the vpn before jumping ship. You neesd to troubleshoot.

2 Likes

I agree, my firestick is faster using open protocol, and 5ghz. But my windows and iOS better with wireguard. Also try diff servers the one response the fella made is correct , personally I manually select my server.

2 Likes

Just installed Pr… on a Vankyo S30 tablet and almost doubled its wifi speed.

I don’t think it’s So much The device as what protocols your ISP uses or supports. I have a Max and use wireguard on 5GHz and get great streaming speeds with an active VPN.

2 Likes

Yes using Wireguard and 5ghz on ch.40

3 Likes

I just posted a similar problem since my update 3 weeks ago from Amazon for my firestick. It only happens when I use my PIA VPN. I would be willing to bet that the Amazon update has something to do with it. What do you think Troy? Something worth looking into? Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed after 2 days. New replies are no longer allowed.