IPTV restricted to single network

Hi all, First time post. Some tech knowledge but not deep enough to know my options here. I’ll have a go at most things tech (Windows/Linux etc), once I have clear instructions. Hope I get this right.

Although my IPTV provider allows 5 concurrent connections, they must be from the same network if more than one person is using service at same time. This year, a family member is away in college. I’d like her to use the service while there. I have a NordVPN subscription and Meshnet works well to allow us access the service at the same time from different locations (bandwidth reduced to about 30Mbps, but solid service). However, meshnet connects to the internet using our ISP provided public IP address. I would prefer to connect over VPN, if possible. I tried building a VPN router (Asus AC66U), but its too slow (best performance was 10Mbps over OpenVPN). Does anyone know how to stream reliably from more than 1 location, identify to the provider as a single network, and stay protected over VPN? I have no issues investing in a solution, if its going to work. Been looking at higher powered routers (e.g. NightHawk) or single board computers (e.g. Odroid N2+), but unsure if they are fit for this this specific purpose. Any direction, help or advice gratefully accepted.

Welcome, you might text your provider and tell them your situation and they may allow it. It has worked for people in the past. Hope this helps. :v:

Some iptv providers allow more than 1 ip(network) but not many. I use one that allows 5 connections from up to 3 ip’s. This type of solution might work.

1 Like

Yes that is the hope that they would allow multiple ip’s

I have 3, 5 connection subs shared with family around north America. I just asked the reseller and explained and he was g2g. Money talks BS walks.

This is a genuine question, how do they know what network you’re using or you’re on a different network?

Rather tough to do on a vpn but they can look at abnomalities in the connection from normal, mtu, travel time etc(much more complicated)…just trying to be generic on the answer.

1 Like

I don’t know exactly how, but I have seen messages on screen many times “Too many IPs” when we are online simultaneously. I’ve recreated this myself also, using home network and 5G connection at same time to watch live content. They can definitely do it.

I’ve done this directly with provider, but got a very direct “No” in response. It’s my 3rd year with the same service, so perhaps it’s time to change. Interestingly, they offer multiple IPs to customers in US, but not in EU. I will look for a reliable provider who might support me.Thanks for your help.

Are you aware of any hardware that could share/sustain VPN for concurrent streams at reasonable speeds?? Wireguard (via Nordlynx) gives me about 75% of available speed (using a Raspberry Pi as a router). This is impressive compared with OVPN, but I haven’t succeeded in sharing the Nordlynx connection, so I don’t know if Pi itself will be powerful enough. Do you know if a Nordlynx VPN connection can be shared? And if so, is a custom built hardware solution worth considering?

Yes it’s disappointing, being how you’ve been with them 3 years! So yes I would find a provider in North America. And then ask if they have multiple ip’s available. Lots of providers have a lot of UK programs.

1 Like

The fastest vpn speeds ive personally used are with Mulvad and Proton. Proton(paid version) for instance gives me 10 connections and provides great vpn speeds averaging 400 and up. Of course your isp speed matters and vpn speed drops are considerable considering I have gig internet. I must say ive never used norddlynx so cant speak to it.

I second what Ron said. Proton VPN has speed up tech and a huge number of options for everything from multihop to ad/malware/and tracking blocking. It is more expensive though. I think my 2 yr sub was just over $10/mth. Another major point for me was they use steel brick and motor servers, no virtual ones and they own them. I just don’t like that it’s limited on streaming devices. But I logged in on line and did my option config and seems like my streaming devices get the setup but I can’t confirm that. They also introduced a new protocol called “stealth”. On any network I barely see any speed dif between having it on or off.

1 Like

Just to clarify. You want the person away from home to connect back home, then go out to the IPTV provider through a VPN connection?

Maybe your IPTV just allows up to 5 simultaneous connections which must be from the same IP location. ( on a TV or to a Stick). But generally they can use many connections from Androids (e.g Phone, Tablet). You can “Cast” from them to a TV that has a Stick using the same Casting from Any IP location. I use Chrome Cast.
I have a IP streaming service that I let my out of state daughter use on her TVs. I then Cast at my location so that she doesn’t get thrown off. But you could use your service and let her do the casting. Just if from a Pone or Tablet keep it plugged into power. Hope this will give you an idea.