Install VPN on router, or device?

Anyone notice speed difference when installing a VPN app/software on their device, vs configuring their VPN on their router?

Personally I’ve notice better speeds and performance when VPNs are configured on the router itself.

Curious to others experiences

1 Like

I’ve always found the router the best option.

3 Likes

I’ve recently installed a router that have OpenVPN & Wireguard clients. In my limited experience, I agree with TXRon.

1 Like

I have a question regarding installing a VPN like Nord or Surfshark on a router, if the VPN goes down for any reason, does the router act like a kill switch?

1 Like

That’s a good question…never even thought about that. I imagine it would? But with my router I could just log in and turn the VPN off, and just connect via my ISP.

But - that’s a 100% guess!

1 Like

That depends on the router’s firmware.
I believe that some routers can be set such that it reverts back to the ‘home’ address when the VPN goes down.

With my Cudy router, when the VPN goes down the internet dies. So I keep my Chromebook handy to connect to another server.

Router for sure.

Can only speak for the ASUS line of routers, but the Surfshark integration on their products makes it so easy. If the VPN goes down (it hasn’t once yet in 1+ year of this set up), the box would lose connection, because the only way out to the internet for that device is through the VPN.

2 Likes

I’m thinking about trying SS since I got my new router. It’s inexpensive, for sure.

I’m using Proton’s free VPN now. The speed with wireguard servers is nearly the speed without the VPN being engaged.

I tried SS, trying to get TP a referral, but found it caused issues when setup in my router.

Moved to CyberGhost and it works fine so far

1 Like

That’s perfect and exactly what I want, I had already ordered an Asus RT-AX58U that is arriving today from Amazon. I am going to re-flash it with the WRT Merlin firmware and then install either Nord or SS on it.

2 Likes

I was going to get the Asus AX58U too, but went with the Cudy AX3000 instead.
The Cudy comes with VPN clients and it is a snap to install both Wireguard & Openvpn config files.

I’ve been an IPVanish for 4 or 5 years so I chatted with them regarding OPVN and/or Wireguard config files for routers, and IPV doesn’t supply them. So time to move on to another VPN service.

I ask you this, vpn users. Do you know if your VPN supplier logs your usage? If they do then this is not good. At any point in time, any agency can get a warrant and force your VPN suppliers to turn over your data and information. When choosing a VPN find out if it saves data and information. Choose the one that does not save it. If they have no saved info, they cannot turn it over. Do your homework before purchasing a VPN. I have a poor memory to name the ones that do not. However. if you only use VPN to download, then use real debrid with copied magnet links to better protect yourself.

1 Like

Most say they don’t, even the one I use and is my personal favourite but I’m not sure if I believe it. There’s an organisation that basically audits these VPN services that I can’t remember the name of but it attest to the fact that Express VPN doesn’t unless you are a beta tester and opt into it. I guarantee you that cheap VPNs do. Nord VPN was the first one I tried years ago and even then it claimed no logging but they were definitely logged locally on my device within the apps interface. Every app has access to it’s own data which means the fact you could view logs within the app tells me they are full of it.

1 Like

For me it’s convenience. One place to manage what devices use vpn & even when with the scheduler. Router also has watchdog to keep trying to reconnect to the vpn so if it does die its not for long. It also syslog reports to my mobile so I know I’m, for a brief moment, not on the vpn.

I strongly advise adding a VPN to your router. 1st and most importantly, it creates an umbrella that protects EVERY device using your wifi. 2nd most VPNs limit the number of devices that can be used on the corresponding account. Right now, my VPN is protecting 13 devices ranging from Smart phones, tablets, several streaming devices an 8 channel security system and a PC. I keep one of my tablets open on the router’s dashboard to monitor it’s activity and watching out for the latest updates. Let’s also keep in mind, all my Firesticks have it’s own VPN as well as all my smartphones. This makes it possible for me to leave the VPN umbrella and know I’m still VPN protected. My speed may be throttled, but it’s the difference of 300mbps versus 150mbps. For the novice, adding VPN service to a router can be daunting so purchasing one with the open VPN capability is easier, but MUCH more costly. Still, it’s worth the effort and the cost.

1 Like