Inexpensive NAS w/disk for Nvidea Shield and

I don’t know why we all use cloud storage but I’m over it. I want a NAS setup with hard disk to work for my network including pictures and files. I also want to be able to record on tivimate thru the shield. I’m assuming i don’t have to integrate plex as the shield can host smb. Any advice welcomed as I’m going to put my entire life on it.

Yes even tho the shield advertises as a plex server it can be used with smb. I set it up with emby in the past and I also know jellyfin works as well. Basically all the shield “plex” function is is smb. Actually it works better as a dvr as you intend than an actual server as its really under-powered for that imho.

I record TiViMate to a usb attached SSD using my Shield Pro. @TXRon is the NAS guru but the shield has the settings to Mount Network Storage and setup, under Settings>Device Preferences>Storage>Mount network storage.

1 Like

yep Miki thats smb and now Formuler and Buzztv boxes have that as well. Makes it easy to configure. :+1:

1 Like

Way cool. I need to follow your example and figure out how NAS is different from my “removable” storage. Time for more reading and learning. Tx @TXRon

look at it like this, removable storage is attached to the box where nas is local on the network not actually physically attached.

Aha. But do I need it attached to say a computer or such?

pretty much or if you have a router with a usb you can hook a storage device there and save on the network. In my setup I have a nas running(small pc) and it has my 8tb storage. Doing this all devices in the home can feed off of it. I also host all my iptv subs on the nas and direct them to my devices(players).

Ahhh now I’m getting it and yes my router has a USB plug. So I could have plugged my SSD drive in a usb housing into the Modem and then any device attached to my network could record to it. Now I just need to see how to send recordings or files to it from different devices and I’m guesssing that’s what SMB is for. Can it be done using WiFi?

you can plug a usb into the router if its supported. And yes then you can record from any device in the house to the same location. You can watch programs on any device recorded with other devices. smb is a windows term for file sharing on the local network(basically).

Excellent. Just wondering how each device connects to that storage. This sounds like something a large family household could use. Thanks as always @TXRon.

That’s where a little homework comes in. SMB is easy and hard if not setup correctly. Installing it on an asus router is pretty plain and guides you in the setup. On a nas about the same as nas platforms generally are made for smb and assist with the permissions. You know me and permisssions :joy:…most peoples issues dealing with recording/sharing are permission related. Its not that difficult as I consider myself a novice at all this, ive gone through lotsa trial and error(but its fun). A good starter read is HERE. And remember xplore is your friend dealing with smb because its setup for it.

Oh hell ya. You know me and research. I thrive on learning and I sure appreciate your guidance. I know what you mean about permissions. It’s all about the settings and the research. So now something new to focus on. I’ll save that link for tomorrow and get at it. Be well @TXRon. Have fun and STREAM ON!!!

1 Like

Im not sure but I think the shield only responds to fat32. And many many nas don’t work well with shield for playback. That’s what I need to find.

The SHIELD supports and will automatically mount drives formatted with the following common filesystems: exFAT (compatible with both Windows and macOS) HFS+ (common for macOS) NTFS (common for Windows) So while it won’t format a drive to NTFS, if one is attached to the Shield Pro it will mount it and you can use it.

1 Like

I generally use ntfs without issues.