I was wrong. This thread is dead

Lets put it this way. The ONLY thing you can do on streaming devices like the shield is choose a server. Nothing else. Pay top dollar for only using one feature.

Hi Miki, The same thing has happened to me on SYNCLER. I just thought it was a VPN problem (IPvanish) . I would pause the movie, start IPV again but it kept happening. Love the VPN dot. I will avoid RARBG links in Syncler. Thanks for the info.

You’re very welcome @westy686 . I might suggest installing the free Malwarebytes and run a free malware test to be sure your system has not been compromised. Most likely it hasn’t, but better safe than sorry.

The free version of MB only runs a basic scan and provides detection results, correct?

Paid version detects and removes. That’s how my lifetime pc version works at least.

Hi Miki,

How can I get Malwarebytes on my 4k max firestick

Using downloader.
Malwarebytes for Android - Download the APK from Uptodown

My free version finds and removes malware, so they claim. Just none of the extra tools or real time scanning.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download%23:~:text%3DLooking%2520for%2520free%2520antivirus%2520and,spyware%252C%2520adware%252C%2520and%2520Trojans.&ved=2ahUKEwjArMmOpLqCAxUklGoFHfTuADkQFnoECAsQBQ&usg=AOvVaw1YZxyJynBp9e774lpe3ulM

Thank you much, you always come to our rescue

1 Like

Well I ran the “free” malware bytes, supposedly it found 41 detections. Thanks for the link but too many subscriptions and I am skeptical of the result. Now this was done on my laptop not my firestick. I appreciate all your suggestions.

Malwarebytes I have used for years and consider it as one of the best and most trusted scanners on the market. I trust them fully.

2 Likes

Damn!! Thanks for the heads up. I myself am a kodi user and to be honest kinda anal about the streams I use. I could have a million sittin there but i always go to the one I’ve always used. It’s never let me down so i tend just to go to that certain one all the time.

1 Like

2 of the links came up last night…did not click on them. So I appreciate you bringing this up.
There is also RARTV…same or different? Just curious as I didn’t have to use those either.

Thanks again

This entire post shows a complete lack of understanding of the tech at hand. That’s okay in and of itself, but to blame Stremio, Torrentio, RARBG, and RD for this is very misguided. Stremio addons have zero executable actions. Video files have zero executable actions. Debrid services like RD do not differentiate where those sources are from and it’s impossible for one source to become corrupted over another. A video file cannot launch an executable. A cached video file on a debrid service has zero ability to inject your system with anything malignant. I understand this post means well, but it’s wrong on every core level understanding of this tech and how it works. A RARBG source did not turn off your VPN any more than any other RD source turned off your VPN because it’s simply not possible due to the limitations both of video files and Stremio addon files. Most likely your VPN disconnected due to an issue with your VPN itself or its communication with your internet connection. But the last thing you can attribute this to is Stremio or a video file you played through Stremio and it’s wild to me that no one has yet to point any of this out.

4 Likes

However, I do believe this RARBG is now defunct and is no longer working. I believe I read that somewhere just recently?

Yes, but the reason it lives on in this context is due to caching. Torrentio scraps public torrent providers for links. Debrid services like RD cache those links. RD specifically will cache a link for 2 weeks, but that counter is reset every time someone accesses that cached link. So theoretically if a cached link is popular enough, it could exist on a service like RD indefinitely.

This is why we still see a lot of RARBG sources on Torrentio/RD. Those sources were cached when the site was alive and they continuously get accessed, keeping the files alive.

Ultimately, in the context of cached torrents on debrid services, the sources of the video files/magnet links matters very little. It’s an archival calling card more than anything.

Don’t they purge their hosts? Therefore, the source will get less and traffic. I think Kickass is in the same boat. Don’t see as many feeds as there once was.

There are two parts to this: 1[Torrentio torrents] and 2[Torrentio cached debrid torrents]. Torrentio will scrap one or the other or both, depending on your settings. To date, Torrentio scraps from 19 sources, to include RARBG and KickAss. You will eventually see less sources from both these now-defunct websites for two reasons.

In context to part #1, when Torrentio pulls direct p2p torrents (uncached), they utilize the API of the torrent source to scrap the site and its hash metadata. Now that these sites are shutdown, the APIs no longer work, so via option #1, I don’t think you’ll see any direct p2p torrents coming from RARBG or KickAss.

In regards to #2, the cached debrid torrents, those files will get purged every two weeks, but as people access those links, their expiration timer gets reset and they continue to live on. In all likelihood though, people will continue to upload torrents to the popular sites that are alive and those files will get cached by debrid and then accessed more and more and more while old cached torrent files on defunct websites will get accessed less and less, therefore having a greater chance of dying and disappearing completely.

So, to answer your question directly regarding “do they purge their hosts…” If they refers to Torrentio, yes sources could get pulled but technically to date Torrentio still attempts to pull from both of these sites (though I think it’s probably spitting out errors since I’m nearly certain their APIs and servers have been taken offline). If “they” refers to debrid services like RD, RD doesn’t really care about the source as much as it cares about matching the hash of your magnet torrent against the rest of its database.

But the biggest reason you’re seeing less and less sources on KickAss or RARBG, especially for new episodes and movies, is simply because those sites are dead and therefore no one can upload to them anymore. Old cached sources will live on as long as they are accessed, but given enough time without being accessed, they too will die.

I’m not going to argue this point. I have never ever lost my ProtonVPN ever and if you say it was a coincidence, I don’t believe in them. Once I stopped using any Rarbg sources I have not had any further issues. I’m not the only one. Others have had the same experience. But you know more than we do. Thank you for sharing. It’s greatly appreciated.

You’re not going to argue the point to an alarm you sounded, but now when someone comes here and informs you of the technical impossibilities of your claim, you tap out? You’d rather be reactionary rather than take this as an opportunity to learn? Fun. I honestly expected better of you.

If you want to really settle this and get to the truth, share the details of the offending cached torrent here for all of us to inspect. The community can sandbox it and analyze it for anything nefarious and then we can finally get to the bottom of your claim.

Or if you’d rather scream wolf and then tap out when challenged, we can do that too.

Whoa easy there. I said you know more than we do and I was sincere in that. I also said I don’t believe in coincidences and that is true. I don’t have the link to that source any more. Tap out? How amusing. I surrender and bow to your superiority. I had a scarey occurrence and chose to warn others. As I have every right to. If you say it couldn’t have been the cause, I believe you. But I’m still steering clear of any rarbg sources out of an abundance of caution if you don’t mind. Now thanks for your clarification, and if you don’t mind I’m going back to enjoying my evening with my wife.

3 Likes