How to Turn Your Computer Into a DLNA Media Server

How to Turn Your Computer Into a DLNA Media Server
https://www.howtogeek.com/215400/how-to-turn-your-computer-into-a-dlna-media-server/?user=cndmNjJAcG0ubWU

1 Like

I have been using a media server on my pc’s for a decade. I don’t need them as much anymore with the streaming but you can easily get the free version of Serviio and even smart tv’s that are DLNA certified ** Mine is 10 years old, will find the server and stream from it. Nothing more needed. https://serviio.org/

• I’m using it on W7 * Add to that X-plore the file manager that many of us use, has a very good DLNA built into it and will stream from any server it finds out there in most if not all formats.

Wow @Wizzard , I am always amazed at the members varying skill sets here, and you are a classic example. Who knew? Tx for letting us know.

@Miki. You’re very welcome. These were used from my torrent days and the odd time still when I want to dl years of a series I find because streaming is not feasible. That last two and I am watching one now is Bosche. Nine years incl. the new one. I did the same for Fauda. I could not find or stream the last season with English Subtitles. It took a few days with torrents. There are other media servers out there but this one is great. I am using an older version of it because it’s low overhead. The installs are all on their site The legacy ones as well.

Ya I went and looked. I never record as I have good speeds and have always been lucky enough to find what I watch without issues. But this is an opportunity for me to learn something that you know and I definitely see the advantages for some. :new::blush:

I have looked at the Pro edition which is $25, but can’t find anywhere indicating how long that is for. This thing looks well supported.

You don’t need it. Don’t waste your money. The free version is fine if you look at the differences unless you have other reasons. I have good speeds as well it’s just that some things are not readily available and even if they are, they might not be 9 seasons from now when it started in 2015. For that reason, I prefer it sitting on my laptop and I have no fear about hunting for it later.

Ahhh ok tx @Wizzard . See it helps knowing someone who has used this. I have an older Chromebook laptop and I’m going to wipe it and may use it for something like this rather than trash it.

I have one old laptop that my sister-in-law was going to toss out many years ago. It didn’t work at all. She gave it to me, I bought a hard drive for it, installed windows and have used it since exclusively as a media server. Nothing else. It has served me well.

1 Like