How to Install and Use Fast Task Killer to Close Unwanted Apps & Free Up RAM Memory

Originally published at: How to Install and Use Task Killer to Close Unwanted Apps

The following guide will show you how to install and use Fast Task Killer on Firestick, Android TV Boxes, phones, and tablets. This is a quick way to close apps running in the background and free up processing power and available RAM Memory. Fast Task Killer is a great maintenance application that will allow you…

As far as I can see, this doesn’t work. Using Nvidia Shield TV, when clicking Fast Task Killer, you are presented with a list which tells me what has been closed. If I then go into Background Apps & Processes, I can still see the apps which are open in the background so it has not killed off the specific apps I wanted I need out of memory. Am I missing something?

I use TDUK’s App Killer app. It’s easy and effient.

2 Likes

I have fast task killer on my shield pro and it does work well to free up ram, but the shield has a setting in it to clear all cache without a 3rd party app.
Settings>Device Preferences>Storage>Internal Shared Storage>>Cached Data> click it> Click OK> you’re done.

Fast task killer shows 0 when I click on it. If I have pandora running and click on FTK it does not stop but continues to play. I have Uninstaller the app several times and reloaded it from troypoint several times but end up with the same result. I have turned off my vpn while downloading. Same result.
Is there any other app that I can download that will perform the one click operation that FTK did?

Fast task killer is designed to kill background running apps, not ones running in foreground. On Android it really isn’t needed as background apps use very little resources and should the Android system require more resources to complete a task then it will close the apps itself to free up resources. In fact closing often used apps will slow the system down by forcing it to reload the data back into RAM before actually opening it and performing the task you’ve asked it to do. These days devices are coming out with more and more RAM.

1 Like

Thaks

Hey Guys, Same thing happened on my two “Walmart ONN devices”. Saturday 3/9 I installed the latest update to both devices. Now when I try to use “Fast Track Killer” on both devices I get “Released Memory 0 mg”.
At this point I suppose I’m waiting for a work around.
Seems like little things keep going away on these devices.
leahcimj

Same here, I spoke with Miki about it and after his astute explanation, I just deleted it. Also, a few days back, I noticed a quick blurb popped up when I launched FTT, It was for a “Premium” version. I poked around a bit on the web but could not find anything pertinent to that. Weirdness prevails for that app, so sayonara!

1 Like

I use SDmaid. You can grab it HERE Try the legacy one 1st.

1 Like

I’ve never ever had fast task killer actually stop the apps. It’s not like a force stop.

Same here. I have hD SD Maid for several years now. It works faultlessly on my Samsung phone.

But for whatever reason, it doesnt work properly on my Minix U22xj Max, nor my Ugoos AM8. It does not delete anything in app cleaner, despite taking forever after the " run" and then “delete”.

And so i downloaded and paid for his SD Maid SE version. It didnt work and i applied for a refund within an hour of purchase. Two days later my refund was refused by Google, because it didnt fit in with their " criteria", and suggested i contact the dev.

Needless to say, i wrote it off as an unfortunate experience. I couldn’t be bothered with all that hassle over a couple of dollars. Life is too short for more aggravation.

Numerous emails and recorded logs to Matthias the dev regarding the SD Maid issues mentioned above, have not elicited a resolution. In fact, he stopped replying some months ago.

But i do know, he has been unwell. So i hope he recovers soon.

This " non deleting and slow run to fo so, seems to be a known problem on xda forums, and has been for some customers, for a few years.

For those of you, for whom it works, congratulations.

I use the pro version of sdmaid and it works great on my AM8 however a mouse or cursor makes navagation easier. Its not ready to go out of the box and requires setup via advanced settings. After all permissions are green, run it manually a few times then you should be able to set the schedualer to automate cleaning. Its very important to grant storage access all within the settings.

Thanks TX Ron. I have enabled all settings and i paid for the Pro version.

The difference is that on my Samsung phone it cycles through the run extremely quickly and it deletes what it should.

This issue has been going on for a couple of years now despite downloading all the updates.

I actually went as far to download an older version, but had the same results.

But i will give it one more go and try the scheduler, which i have never tried.

Thanks for the help.

@TXRon

Just one thing you mentioned was that it needed advanced settings set up.

I only follow the on screen prompts, until all permissions turn green. These actions used to work until a few years ago.

Anything else that i am missing?

settings>>>general settings>>>advanced settings>>>setup
after getting all green go back here and check storage access(right under setup)…just to be sure. After all that is good go all the way back to quick access and run it a few times then proceed to scheduler and check all catagories including the delete button under each one and the last one Databasees set to optimize. You can also set it to reboot after completion.

1 Like

Many thanks. Tried all that…still does not delete anything. Not to worry, i always clear cache on my device at shut down every day.

I will just leave it. Same issue on my minix. Neither device is rooted.

Appreciate the help.:pray:t2:

not sure. To check again I ran it and although its was just cleaned it found about 29kb and deleted it.

Also not sure if it matters but my ugoos is rooted.

1 Like

No problem. Rooting may be why yours works. I have had this issue on 3 separate devices for a couple of years.

It is also well documented on xda forums.

But, its ok. I dont have anything sensitive on my devices, and only use it for a couple of movie apps and my IPTV.

Rather strange that it is faultless on my phone. I even copied the phone version to a usb and installed it onto my stbs. But it still didnt work.

Thanks again.