How to Expand Internal Storage on New $19 Walmart onn. Google TV Box with OTG Cable & USB Drive

6 Likes

So basically just keep usb debugging off.Can apps be downloaded first and then moved to storage later

So it’s half the price of Firestick max and can expand storage. Sounds good. Turning off USB debugging is not that bad a loss. Does anything require USB debugging turned on?

1 Like

The Appkiller from UkTechdoctor does. And also his cache cleaner.

Maybe that’s adb debugging. Not sure if it’s the same thing.

2 Likes

I had no trouble setting up and downloading apks. When I opened Wolf Launcher my box lost connection to the usb drive. Nothing I tried would reconnect the usb drive. I had to wipe it clean and start over. Also the two safety dot apps in TP Tool-box will not download. A popup says this an old version.

@TP-Dracoo is there a way to merge these Onn box threads into one (or two)?

2 Likes

@AMD237

Yes, im going to do that soon.

2 Likes

Launcher manager on Onn requires debugging on. External storage on the Onn requires it to be off. What is the fix?

After launching Launcher with Wolf, the screen went black, almost nothing works When I reboot I get this message “Diag mode Boot_Complete delete.” How to do a factory reset?

Turn on USB Debugging to make any mods that need to be made such as installing 3rd party launcher and Launcher Manager. Once you’ve done that, go back in and turn off USB debugging and your settings will stick. The main point is to remember that USB Debugging must be turned off if you are using external storage and are going to restart your device. If you forget to turn it off and the device reboots, you will notice that the USB drive does not show. Simply go into Dev Options, turn off USB Debugging, restart and USB Drive will be showing again.

3 Likes

I purchased the ONN device a couple of days ago and have been playing with it. Overall, I really like it, particularly because the external storage is so easy to setup. However, I have run into one problem that I could use some help on.

I use Cyberflix for most of my Movie/TV Show viewing. I wanted to transfer my settings, favorites, and watched episodes from my FS4K to the ONN. I have the files from my FS and trying to use X-Plore to upload them to the CyberFlix TV/Backup folder. When I try to copy them to the ONN device, nothing happens.

I then uploaded the 3 files to the Download folder (successfully). I then copied them to the clipboard in X-Plore, and then tried to past them into the Cyberflix TV/Backup folder. I got an error message to the effect that I didn’t have permission to write to that folder. How do I get around this issue? BTW, I tried backing up my settings, etc. from within Cyberflix. I got the same issue (nothing written).
Thanks!

@Miki Thanks for the reply. However, whenever I’ve bought a new FS, I’ve copied my Cyberflix backup files to my laptop HD via X-Plore, and then uploaded them to the new stick (after installing Cyberflix). Also, as stated, Cyberflix is apparently unable to write it’s own backup files to the ONN device, as no files show up (I have hidden files turned on).

@Miki I’m surprised that you think the ability to do this is so unusual. The backup files I’m referring to are just simple text files. I believe the reason I’m having a problem with the ONN device is because, for some reason, it has marked the folder where the backups are stored as read-only (don’t have permission to write to it, not even the app itself). Unfortunately, I know of no way to change the folder path where the backups are stored. If I could change it to the Download folder for example, then I (and the app) could write the files to the folder.

An update. I was able to solve my problem (copying Cyberflix backup files to the appropriate folder). I tried using ES File Explorer, and that allowed me to copy my files to the appropriate folder on the ONN device. X-Plore has never shown this problem on my FS4K sticks, only on the ONN device.

Has anyone tried expanding storage in the same manner as the Firestick? How to Expand Internal Storage on Firestick & Fire TV Cube Using the ADB Shell Application and the “sm partition disk:8,0 mixed 50” command you were able to expand internal and external storage. I will try later unless advised not to.

1 Like