Hard drive transfer

I just got the new firestick max, i used to have the 4k with a hard drive connected to it for storing my recording and i put my side lioaded apps on it too. Now if i connect that hard drive to my new max firestick will all my apps appear on it or do i have to redownload apps again

1 Like

I’m not 100% sure if that will copy over. My gut says it won’t, but if it doesnt, you could use a cloud service through ES File Explorer to copy the contents of the external hd. Then, you can access that cloud using the new Max and move them over to the HD on the Max. Not sure if it would have you re-format it or not. @Miki may be a good one to ask as he is our Amazon wizard.

Please review this for all firestick issues and guides, if the following hasn’t worked feel free to ask.

This should resolve most to all issues.

I believe you’ll have to reinstall each app onto your new device because parts of each module are stored on the particular device. Hope this helps

The problem is this, any third party apps installed on one firestick cannot be read by another firestick. I can’t simply have a bunch of 3rd party apps on a usb drive attached to my Max, unplug it, walk over to my buddies and plug it in to his Max and have those apps work. One of the frustrating aspects of the FireTV OS. Now when first registering a new Firestick to your account the system will say that it sees you have a new stick and have had another firestick and would you like to use that to set up your new stick, but all that does is install any “extra” apps you’ve installed from the app store.

1 Like

Miki, would that be the case if you use a tool like ADBFire to clone the old stick set up and move it to the new one? I have never tried ADBFire where there is also external storage on a USB or hard drive.

Using Android Debugging Bridge commands won’t make a difference. The problem is simply that any 3rd party app gets married to the FireTV device it is installed on. Trust me, save your effort and simply get the latest APK for any 3rd party app you want and install on a new stick. It would be amazing if all apps had their configuration setup and personalized settings kept in the cloud. Then similar to Stremio you would simply have to install the basic app, onto your device, open it and log in, and your entire setup, and app history, is available to you without any further input from you.

1 Like

Bamoish,
The one advantage that the older 4k has over the 4k Max is that the same drive can be used to both store content AND as a place for your apps. With the Max the drive must be used for one or the other unless someone has figured out a work-around.

Very true elgin. I shake my head every time I set up a new Max. No idea why Amazon would go this route. Pretty lame actually.

1 Like

Im starting to regret buying the max, i think im just going to stick to my 4k

I don’t record anything, so for me the performance gains and added features are more important. I have an otg powered hub plugged in but the added usb drive is strictly for apps, so it works for me. I do understand your issue though and perhaps if you wanted to stick with the FireTV OS you should have bought the new 3rd gen cube. A lot depends on your budget.

@miki, was my idea about using a cloud service (I use SugarSync via ES File Explorer) a viable option in this case, or was my thinking incorrect? I use this same method with my Tivimate backups, and apply it to my different devices around my house. I’m not sure if it would work backing up the app into the cloud, and then reinstalling from there. If it does work, at least it would save from loading all from scratch.

Ya I know you suggested it and I know that’s about what Stremio does. I just don’t know anyone, including myself, who has actually done it and been successful. Can you give it a go? I don’t have cloud storage that I’m aware of.

I don’t have an external HD on any of my 4k’s just my Max. When I get a chance, I can try and fiddle with it.

I was going to set up the max for my room and give my kid the old 4k for her room, but now its just too much work setting stuff up so im just going to keep my 4k already set up. Troypoint.com is my go to for everything i aint going to lie im not tech savvy but now with all the disclaimers and videos being taken down, now i cant find anything. Its too much

It is a lot. Sorry Bamoish. There is a huge learning curve for those wanting the ideal setup. As mentioned I don’t record anything as I don’t see the need.

Once you’ve set a device up to where you’re happy with it & want to duplicate the apps onto another device…Send Anywhere is an excellent app to transfer all the 3rd party APKs/apps from your primary device to another one…they’re all listed & you just click on them & send…Miki uses a different app than Send Anywhere, but they both work pretty much the same. Very easy to do once you get the gist of it. And all of the apps from Troy’s now closed RAI can be found in various places on the net…such as…Unlinked…APKPure…Aptoid…your favorite browser etc. I’d just say, do a search here & if ya can’t find an answer…ask the folks here that have already been thru the learning curve. :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Just give her the new 4K Max…at $25 it’s still a cheap way to keep her happy.

The recording issue is one reason that that I prefer my $20 ONN android device over the Fire TV environment. With a 32 GB thumb drive of adoptable (expanded) storage I have plenty of room for all my apps and a few recorded football games and it works seamlessly with TiviMate for recording.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.