Google on firestick

Hi there,
I’m trying to put google on my firestick, but every method just comes back with can’t load, won’t load…is there a tried and trusted way to do it as I am stumped, any help appreciated
Thanks
Toonman1

Different OS. Firesticks are FireTV. Is there a certain google app you want? What exactly are you trying to do? A little more info please.

1 Like

I’m trying to put Google chrome on the stick, or at least Google search engine.
I have The Silk browser on my stick and it’s a bit rubbish.

Hmm. The Silk browser is a great browser for the Firesticks as it’s optimized for the sticks. Once you update/install it you can go into it’s settings and choose what search engine you want. It’s all I install and use on the FireTV OS’s.

I agree - the Silk browser really came of to age over the years as it continued to be more polished and optimized for the Fire GUI.

I’ve been meaning to see who’s got a “reliable” silk apk that works well with shield android 11 OS.

I put the Silk browser on my Shield. It’s a great browser.

2 Likes

Do you recall the source of where you got the Silk apk from?

Lots of apk hubs out there - can’t remember which ones are clean.

I found this one, but it is not the same as the one you posted,
https://forum.xda-developers.com/attachments/silk-96-2-18-4664-175-30-apk.5527181/

I am guessing the numbers 664 were omitted after your 18.4___.175.30

I will try again using the one I just posted and see if that one works.

Btw, do you like Silk better than TVBro? I’ve been using TVBro for quite a long time and do like it. The only issue I have with TVBro is I am unable to do a screenshot. Also, sometimes[?] I have to turn off my vpn to access certain downloads and/or sites, but not always.

I had Silk on my Shield before. Can’t remember why I took it off. Probably because it’s Amazon and I don’t trust Bezos. lol I have been reading several positive posts about Silk lately and figured I would re-visit it and see for myself.

Update: This one loaded fine.
I tweaked my settings by turning off “Safe Browsing” and turned on “Do Not Track”. I also set my search engine to Google, may try DuckDuckGo, but I have read they went over to the dark side. Don’t know if that is true or not?

To be honest, I can’t remember the last time I opened a browser on my streaming device. I don’t really have a need to. About the only time I have was to download something that I couldn’t get through the play store or downloader, etc. But now the OS blocking downloads from browsers just made things more complicated. It’s easier now to download something on my phone and then move it to the shield.

1 Like

I just now installed this Silk apk on my Shield Pro 2019. I downloaded the apk to my laptop and sent it to my Sheild using Send Anywhere. Then installed the apk using the Xplore installer. Testing it now and so far everything seems to work fine.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/attachments/silk-96-2-18-4664-175-30-apk.5527181/

I like TVBro but like I said, it doesn’t allow me to do a screenshot and I do use that feature to do stuff.

However, I do agree with the op in that I would prefer a more robust browser and search. You have a lot more features, option, and settings in a browser like Chrome.

I installed Silk, Chrome, and TVBro browsers. Silk They all have settings which you can access to set to your liking. I set my search engine as Google for all 3. They are all pretty snappy bringing up searches. I searched the same site on each browser using Google search engine. Web page were brought fast on all three. I clicked on images and videos. Each browser functioned fine. Videos played in each. However, with Chrome I had to choose a player outside of the Chrome app, but it did play. Also, Chrome didn’t have a built-in cursor. So, you will need to add a mouse to help navigate in some situations. I used Mouse Toggle. A bit of a learning curve, but I was able to navigate around with little issue.

Bottom line: Like the familiar feel with Chrome (a bit quirky). Silk is basic and simple to use. TVBro is simple to use and is a complete package.

My #1 pick is still TVBro

Chrome, I like the familiar feel. Pretty much the way it appears on my laptop. A bit of a learning for navigating, but once I figured it out it wasn’t too demanding. Videos only play with an outside player.

Silk is okay and does the job. No real bells and whistle to speak of, but it did quickly reveal searches, has an onboard cursor, and plays videos with its own built-in player or choose another player.

TVBro is a workhorse and gets the job done with little issue. Easy enough to navigate around with its own cursor. Video plays with only its built-in player. Can’t do screenshots.

Browsers

Oh, forgot to mention. I had to make a shortcut for Silk to appear on my home page and favorites.

Changed the TVBro app’s logo to something more interesting.

1 Like

Yeah, I use Downloader all the time and use it’s browser if and when required, never had any problems with it.

1 Like

I already deleted the Silk & Chrome TVBro is good enough for me. I also will use Downloader, too.

I surf mostly on my laptop and tablet. I don’t surf at all on my device. I just use it like you stated, to sideload stuff.

1 Like

aheeeem… google is the dark side :joy: :thinking: :skull_and_crossbones:

1 Like

No disrespect to anybody personally, but everybody used to complain about how Amazon was always in your business and always changing things and stopping things and keeping you from being able to stream. People now brag about how Google services are so great. Google is so far up into your a** they can whitewash your tonsils from your rectum!

4 Likes

Google, armed with an active, always listening mic and it’s supercharged data harvesting engine is truly crowned king of anti-privacy and ad revenue model.

Somehow, I feel that many people overlook this issue because they’re so entrenched with using the Google eco system of products, it’s accepted to keep the blinders on and live with it.

:roll_eyes:

Somehow Amazon didn’t get the same courtesy.

1 Like

In My Honest Opinion…anything that is labeled “Big” is corrupt at most…shady at least…ALL big tech, big gubment, big media, big pharma, big medical, big bank, big insurance etc…when a company or sector gets that big it gets too powerful & power corrupts…which is why I inherently don’t trust any of em’. And Google & Amazon are both the biggest you can get. :roll_eyes: :eyes:

#Try That in a Small Town

Likewise,and it’s free unlike Puffin