Get fiber optic internet

i cureently get 130 download speed from my internet provider.

i am using a PC, stream from tv in family room, using sonos arc.

i also stream from tv inkitchen.

sometime when i try to stream a large 4k stream, error messsage says not enought internet speed for continuous service.

my question is, should i get the fiber optic service, and if so, how will it help me stream movies ?
stephen huffman

I got fiber optic internet with ATT earlier this year. I really like it. Speed without vpn is 300 or more mbps and with vpn is only 60-85 mbps. Only around 50 mbps are needed for most 4k streaming.

That seems like a extreme drop. Most times a vpn will cause it to drop no kore than 50%. Which vpn do you use?

2 Likes

Hi Powerfader,

IPVanish with wifi connection. I always thought it would be a 50% drop using wifi and another 50% drop using a vpn. I’m good as long as I can stream my 4k content with buffering.

1 Like

I use SS and have Spectrum with their 500 speed. I just now ran Analiti and am dropping about 100 with my vpn on.

I would check changing protocols and severs to see if you can get an improvement. 50 is good enough, but if you are running multiple devices at the same time. That can cause a strain.

I’m only running one device at a time. I was getting lower speeds with Wiseguard so I changed to OpenVPN and its was the fastest of all of them. I decided not to stress over it, since its enough for streaming. I don’t download movies. Use my unlimited data plan for my phone.

Indeed a huge drop. I current use Express with a 1Gb connection. With Express VPN on I still get 780-820 Mbps. With SS, only get 270-325, huge drop.

2 Likes

820Mbps through a VPN has to be a record or something lol…dang.

1 Like

Wish I knew how to get more speed. I have fiber optic and 1.5g download. I do have alot of devices connected though. Here’s my speed with and without ExpressVPN. Also tried other VPN’S and get even worse. Ivacy, Proton(free) :man_shrugging:

Ethernet connection

Try different locations. My vpn speed varies though. Try closest to you, work your way out. I’ve had some impressive speeds from overseas servers as well.

1 Like

Thanks @skook1448,

I will definitely will try further out locations. The ones closet to me don’t usually render faster speeds. Went back in and tried several US state locations and the speeds were about the same 65-95 mpbs with vpn on. I get 300 mpbs without VPN. I tried all three of the protocols. OpenVPN offered the fastest download speeds.

I’m not sure why there is such a drastic drop.

When I get home I will check what server I’m connected to to get good speeds I’m in Pennsylvania and I tried seven or eight different locations in the United States until I found the fastest one

Okay great, I really appreciate your assistance.

I also use ExpressVPN with regular cable Ethernet connection at 300/30 download/upload speeds and still get 150/20 speeds using the vpn. Also have never had to change the location as speeds are very stable. You really don’t need fiber optic cable to stream effectively.

1 Like

It’s looking like Express is the Cadillac of VPNs these days. But you pay for it.

I would suggest to Mslea, that she try an ethernet connection instead of wifi. Even if you are limited to 100 mbps by your box connection, you aren’t getting 100 using wifi anyway. I found that you get slower download speeds but higher upload speeds (still important for streaming) than using wifi and it is more stable.

Thanks for the suggestion. However, I don’t want a ethernet cord running across my hallway. Thats a safety hazzard for me. I’ll accept not getting 100% out of my internet service. I have always had buffer free streaming, even without fiber optics.

Thank you for looking into the matter for me.

Have a great day

1 Like

Okay and I’m probably going to get slammed for this. But if the VPN is causing you issues to where it’s affecting your streams just turn it off. That is all I am going to say

Hi @MarkxG,

My vpn isn’t causing me any issues. Couple of our Insider community didn’t understand why my upload speeds drastically dropped when using IPVanish. It was just a discussion that caught the of interest some. They offered me suggestions that might increase my speeds.

I don’t have any connection nor buffering issues. I am able to stream 4K without buffering.

Our Insider Community wants us to have the best cord cutter experience available. I so happy to be a member and have learned enough to be dangerous. :grin::grin::grin:

1 Like

You could also consider a power line adapter or mesh router to improve your wi-fi signal if an Ethernet connection is not feasible. Check those topics out on Troypoint if interested.

Hi Slim_bill,

Not having a wifi issue. I get over 300 mbps when not using vpn. Speed drops when I connect to IPVanish. Itds crazy, I tried a couple suggestions, but they didn’t increase the speeds. Thanks for the additional suggestions.