FIOS ONT to ethernet splitter

Hi, I’m new at this; don’t even know if this is right. Any info is appreciated. Whenever we tried to update KODI in Android Box we lost everything. We have android box with 18.3 KODI and addons we don’t want to lose. But Troy has addons that apparently work only on KODI 20/21. So we bought the Androis box that TROY recommended T95Z. What we want do is put a splitter at the end of our ethernet line and then run 2 separate lines out and into the 2 separate Android boxes (our old one and the new one) and then into HDMI 1 and 3 on our tv. This way we think we can do both. Did I say that right? Is this doable. What kind of splitter should we get? Thanks. You guys are the best.

You could run a single Ethernet cable from your modem or use 2 ports on the back of the modem and run seperate cables. Is there a problem with your WiFI? With the new WiFi 6, 6e and 7 they often get speeds just as good as Ethernet.

Hey Bob,
What you said would work with the two boxes.
The problem with ‘addons that you don’t want to lose’ is that eventually they won’t get support from their developers on older versions of Kodi.

Sorry for the delay. Did not know how to respond. Well in our new FIOS we only have 1 extra jack to use…which is as it is now. So you feel it’s doable. Thx.What kind of (likely) two way splitter do I need whose lines will go to each box and then their lines will go in HDMI1 and 3?

Sorry for the delay. Did not know how to respond. Well in our new FIOS we only have 1 extra jack to use…which is as it is now. So you feel it’s doable. Thx.What kind of (likely) two way splitter do I need whose lines will go to each box and then their lines will go in HDMI1 and 3? Re the WIFI…don’t think so but we were told back when that wired was better. Thx

Sorry for the delay. Did not know how to respond. Well in our new FIOS we only have 1 extra jack to use…which is as it is now. So you feel it’s doable. Thx.What kind of (likely) two way splitter do I need whose lines will go to each box and then their lines will go in HDMI1 and 3? Re the WIFI…don’t think so but we were told back when that wired was better. Thx And we have 18.3

This is reply to other nice guys…Sorry for the delay. Did not know how to respond. Well in our new FIOS we only have 1 extra jack to use…which is as it is now. So you feel it’s doable. Thx.What kind of (likely) two way splitter do I need whose lines will go to each box and then their lines will go in HDMI1 and 3? Re the WIFI…don’t think so but we were told back when that wired was better. Thx
Reply to you…everything disappeared on doing a test run on our other box. Don’t know how to answer your 2nd question…other than when we updated they all went. Thx again…

What you want is called an “unmanaged” switch" with maybe 4-8 ports.

Run the ethernet cable from the FIOS device into one of the ports in the switch & then run ethernet from other ports in the switch to your devices.

We’ve used a TP-Link unmanaged 4-port switch for years in a similas situation for years. without any problem.

1 Like

Hi, thank you so much, Probably 2-4 would do it for us. You say “unmanaged” and then say “switch”. Just to clarify. We don’t want to switch the feed. We want to run 2 feeds from separate ports into two android boxes and then into 2 separate HDM! jacks.So we will also need another ethernet line? Thx. Oh before I forget; Is Troy’s speed tester down. We keep getting 404 notice with “nothing there”. Have a great week.

Ethernet switch/splitter is a simple box with 1 ethernet plug in and say 5 out. Make sure you get a gig ethernet one though. On my setup it comes out of my ONT with an ethernet cable and into my modem/router which has 5 ethernet ports out. This allows me full control options like the ability to use the USB port for recording storage, adding say a VPN and configuring options like security SSID and a password using the admin panel. Unlike the basic ethernet splitter, you are wanting, this also gives me full control over my WiFi for my phones and tablets.

As Miki said,

“Unmanaged switch” is the term used instead of splitter. It’s not really a “switch”. My device has 5 identical ports.
One of the ports has the cable from the router. The other ports have Ethernet out to a computer, TV box, a Tablo and a spare for when I need to plug in a laptop.

For my purposes, my cheap TP Link switch does fine. Our service is only 200 mbps anyway, so anything more robust would be a waste.

1 Like

Thx elgin. Really appreciate it; if you play golf/baseball we can comp per the swing (later). Anyway, your info was our first step. So we just amazoned a 5 port netgear with 1 3’ and 1 1.5’ e-lines to the boxes…which we figure we have to keep separated for the remotes. Do you record (we have mucho from times past…disc and tapes but nothing with these new stuff for us). If you do, how do you do it? Thx. Oh any word re Troy’s speed test. We get a blank 404 page…

I only record a football or basketball game when I can’t watch the game in real time.
I just record to the device’s internal storage.

That’s what we want to do and why we bought the T95Z because it has what our present one has…128 storage? Would you time telling us how you do it ? Thx

I use Tivimate as my player.

To record a show that I’m watching, I go back to the EPG and long press the program’s ‘box’ with the OK button. A pop-up menu apppears on the right. Scroll down and select record or custom record. (I usuall us custom record, because for sports it’s a good idea to set the time 30 minjte or so past the scheduled time.

For upcoming programming, find the show or game’s box, long press the ok. A pop-up menu appears with the record option. (I wouldn’t hit ‘The don’t show again option’!)

Ir’s a good idea to start the scheduled recordings a few minutes ahead and a few minutes beyond the EPG’s given times.
To do that: Back button unitl the EPG shows>Left button or circle twice>Settings at bottom of hte left most menu>Other near the bottom>Start recording, maybe 2 or 3 minutes>stop recording (I use 30 minutes, because I’m usually recording basketball or football. If you’re recording other shows, maybe 5 minutes or so.)

Thank you, Miki, Hope I thanked those that responded, We received our splitter yesterday (netgear 5 ports), We have one spare jack from router which we use for ethernet, then to new splitter to 2 ethernet lines to 2 separate ABoxes (including the T95X that Troy recommended) with the VPN (NORD. not too thrilled by them) will be in each then to 2 separate HDMI tv jacks. Still not sure I’m saying anything right. Could do it all with tape and discs and dvr, which still could be used) but not with this “stuff”, tho I suspect all this stuff might be easier and more flexible. So Thx much. Can really compensate if you play golf. .

1 Like

Thx, Sounds great. What VPN do you use? Right now we use more of thetvapp (no issue if you add tv at the end in browser). Tried to tell Troy. Hope he got it. We also have a bunch of apps for tv on the “old” box. One reason we wanted the splitter for a new separate box. Android boxes are amazing; We knew/know not much about this and we found out enough to move along. So you’re input is most valuable. And tv mate sounds really good. But how do you select the programs on it to watch? How does it differ from PVR (which we know nothing about)., Enough for now,. Thx